URL filtering

L4 Transporter

Re: URL filtering

The users are sent to the ISA 2006 server via a GPO. I am in the process of trying to remove all references to the proxy server so that they no longer to go it but are using the URL filtering on the PA. Some seem to still be going to the proxy but I haven't determined the reason yet

Highlighted
L1 Bithead

Infotech, if you installed the TMG/ISA firewall client on your PC's it must be removed or disabled. Also you will want to disable the auto discover features in ISA. If you are using WPAD entries via DHCP or DNS you will want to eliminate those.

Highlighted
L4 Transporter

The client was not installed on any of the pc's it was just being sent to the proxy by using a group policy. I do not see it in the server options in DHCP or a DNS reference to it

Highlighted
L1 Bithead

What happens if you use a browser like Firefox that is not beholden to the GPO (unless you are using a Firefox ADM file) ensuring that the connections settings is set to "No proxy"

We were using TMG 2010 prior to switching over to PA. It was a great change, but I do miss a thing or to about ISA/TMG.

Highlighted
L4 Transporter

we do not user anything but IE and the GPO was setting the internet connetions to the proxy server but I removed those references from the GPO

Highlighted
L1 Bithead

Only suggesting as a troubleshooting step to observe behavior, it could help you narrow down the issue. I am not suggesting that you make a company wide browser change.

Highlighted
L4 Transporter

Is your train of thought that the proxy settings that are modified by the use of a GPO will not apply to another browser such as fox fire or chrome?

Highlighted
L6 Presenter

so problem is not related to Paloalto as I understand.

Highlighted
L1 Bithead

Standard GPO is for lack of a better term is ignored by Firefox. Chrome looks at and grabs the settings in "Internet Options" in the control panel by default, so I find Firefox to be a better way to test and troubleshoot weird issues like this.

There is an ADM/ADMX file that you can add to your domain controllers and manage Firefox much like you can manage IE from a GPO standpoint. As long as that had not been done in your environment, the Firefox settings are set to "No Proxy" and there is nothing like the ISA Firewall Client installed on your PC's that is intercepting and tunneling traffic to your ISA Server, then all traffic from that PC "should" follow your standard TCP/IP routes and all traffic, web and otherwise will go through your Palo Alto Firewall and URL filtering will be applied to all traffic where the policy on the PA applies your URL Filtering Security Policy.

Highlighted
L4 Transporter

That is what I am trying to confirm. I have eliminated all references to the ISA server in the GPO's and it still goes through the ISA server

Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the Live Community as a whole!

The Live Community thanks you for your participation!