Parallel tasks in a playbook

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Parallel tasks in a playbook

L1 Bithead

I'm trying to find some useful learning resources on playbooks and I've watched the standard Youtube training videos, but I've seen some playbooks that do parallel task operations, like this

bowesmana_0-1717660805872.png

and I'm trying to understand what happens when those tasks come back together - in this simple example, which are setting month and year, when will the next task at the bottom run? Will it always wait until both parent tasks are complete or something else. I guess it wouldn't make sense for it to carry on when only one has finished, but I can't find anything that states the obvious.

Are there any useful resource to learn about these things, as I've not found any so far.

3 REPLIES 3

L1 Bithead

Public XSOAR training / material is unfortunately a bit scarce.
I would recommend joining the XSOAR Slack, and maybe just try it out in your own playbook.

As for your question in this one, the task following the paralell tasks will start when any of the previous tasks reaches it. A "first come, first serve" if you will.
If the next task would require both the previous tasks to finish to function, they need to be in a series instead.

Thanks for the comment - unfortunately trying it out, which I'd already done, doesn't make me any wiser, as in my example above it's not easy to know if the child joint task starts before or after both have finished and I was wondering what the expected behaviour should be when the child has dependencies on both of it's parents completion.

I'd just assumed that this concept would be documented somewhere, but I can't find it.

You should be able to see the order of execution in the "War Room", in which you can see which tasks execute in what order.

If you want to make it easier to observe, you could change one of the tasks to a sleep timer, and then run the playbook to see if the next task starts before the sleep task has completed.

• 3 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!