Block access to sites with invalid SSL cert

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Block access to sites with invalid SSL cert

L4 Transporter

Hi,

I could not find a way to block access to sites with invalid (self signed, expired) ssl certifcates. Any Ideas ?

PAN OS 4.1.3.

rgds Roland

3 REPLIES 3

L6 Presenter

In Device -> Setup -> Session you can alter some of the SSL settings such as:

CRL Enable
Receive Timeout
OSCP Enable
Receive Timeout
Block Unknown Certificate
Block Timeout Certificate
Certificate Status Timeout

When you setup the SSL-inspection the certificate used can have various options such as:

Forward Trust
This certificate is presented to clients during decryption when the server to which they are connecting is signed by a CA in the firewall’s trusted CA list. If a self-signed certificate is used for forward proxy decryption, you must click the certificate name in the Certificates page and select the Forward Trust Certificate check box.

Forward Untrust
This certificate is presented to clients during decryption when the server to which they are connecting is signed by a CA that is not in the firewall’s trusted CA list.

Trusted Root CA
The certificate is marked as a trusted CA for forward decryption purposes.
When the firewall decrypts traffic, it checks the upstream certificate to see if it is issued by a trusted CA. If not, it uses a special untrusted CA certificate to sign the decryption certificate. In this case, the user sees the usual certificate error page when accessing the firewall and must dismiss the warning to log in.
The firewall has a large list of existing trusted CAs. The trusted root CA certificate is for additional CAs that are trusted for your enterprise but are not part of the pre-installed trusted list.

SSL Exclude
This certificate excludes connections if they are encountered during SSL forward proxy decryption.

Certificate for Secure Web GUI
This certificate authenticates users for access to the firewall web interface. If this check box is selected for a certificate, the firewall will use this certificate for all future web-based management sessions following the next commit operation.

So you can enable "Block Unknown Certificate" and then use a specific CA as "Forward Untrust" which is blacklisted in your clients browsers (like one CA for "Forward trusted" which is added to the list of trusted issuers in the client browser and another CA for "Forward untrusted" and have this CA blacklisted at clientside). Question here is how to block the client from just override the warning that the cert is issued by un untrusted (or blacklisted) CA?

I dont know if just enabling "Forward Trusted" is enough to accomplish this (if im not mistaken this means that untrusted SSLs are just forwarded without inspection to the client which would be really bad).

What I have failed to find out is where to see a list of which Trusted CA's the PAN unit will approve? And how to manually remove one (or many) CA's from this list (this way one would not have to wait for PA to release an update next time Verisign, Globalsign or some other CA gets hacked)?

Hi,

thanks for your input. I already tried what you suggested but it did not work. I don't want to touch the clients certificate store. I am looking for a solution to block access on the firewall level.

I guess I need to file a feature request.

rgds Roland

Ok, it's working now at least with IE8. After adding the untrust-cert from the PA firewall to the "Untrusted Publishers" cert store on the client, connections to sites with invalid ssl certs are blocked.

28.02.jpg

The same is true for Chrome (V 17) which shares the cert store from IE. I was unable to get the same working with FF (V 10).

Again it would be better to have this functionality on a Firewall level and not on an endpoint client browser level.

• 3 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!