Can you setup a S2S VPN behind your Outside (untrusted) interface on same firewall?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Can you setup a S2S VPN behind your Outside (untrusted) interface on same firewall?

L1 Bithead

Hi
I am using a pair of PA-3250 in HA and have 17 S2S VPNs using my outside interface that has /24 public IP assigned to it. Due to ongoing issues with our current internet, we have decided to move to a different internet platform (DIA) and enhance our redundancy (enable BGP).
However, with this new setup, the ISP must give us a new /29 block to exchange BGP. As a result, the current /24 subnet and the IP we use for VPN peering will sit behind this new IP block on the same PA. 

Someone mentioned to me the 17 S2S tunnels will not work and IPSec tunnels must be terminated on the interface closet to the remote peer. VPN traffic cannot enter the firewall on one interface, cross the backplane and then be delivered to a second interface. 

Any feedback and possible work around will be appreciated. 

Thanks

12 REPLIES 12

Hi @highmiles ,

Am I understand you correctly - you plan to connect second ISP to your firewall using new public range, but you want to keep your IPsec tunnels using the existing/old public range for local peer address?

In my humble opinion Palo FW is your least concern in such setup...

- How do you plan to route old-ISP public /24 to point to your new-ISP public /29?

- How do you plan to route the return traffic from old-ISP interface back over new-ISP interface?

Why do you even want to do this way?

If you plan to completely migrate from old-ISP to new-ISP, just change your IPsec tunnels to use new-ISP interface as local peer.

If you plan to have ISP redundancy and want to failover IPsec tunnel over each ISP depending on the path, you will need to create additional tunnels over the new-ISP to all 17 remote sites

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

"Someone mentioned to me the 17 S2S tunnels will not work and IPSec tunnels must be terminated on the interface closet to the remote peer."

This someone was incorrect.

You can run IPSec tunnels anywhere.

Even on loopback interfaces.

Enterprise Architect, Security @ Cloud Carib Ltd
Palo Alto Networks certified from 2011

/29 will be for BGP peering.

/24 will be advertised to ISP and ISP will advertise it further.

You can get default route from ISP through BGP or have static route to ISP next hop in /29 range.

Important is to ask ISP to filter only default route to you and not send whole internet routing table down to your Palo.

Both old IP block and new address block will be on the same PA, the new block will have a new Zone name.

My question was specifically regarding my VPNs peer address that i am currently using, will it work if i move it one hop (on the same PA) behind the new IP block? 

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

Yes it will work.

I like this answer! The IPSec will still work even if I used Loopbacks interfaces, interesting. 

So, this guy we hired (from a well-known Paloalto partner) tells me otherwise, and he has 15+ years of experience.

He suggested i purchase VPN concentrators! (Something i don't want to do).

I am really puzzeled 😞  

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

You should find better partner to work with.

Hi  Radio_Rattameister

I am not worried about the architecture of this as much as I am worried about the VPNs.

So the new /29 block will be used between me and the ISP, my current /24 block willl still be on the same PA but one hop behind.

All of this is being done to enable fail-over the /24 block to my other data center in case of a DR.

Maybe there is trick or certain feature we have to enable for the IPSec to work if we introduce a new block Infront or the current public IP we use for VPN peering. 

He said the same thing about my Global Protect for remote access (which runs on a separate PA), they will also be impacted. 

Is there a guide or link on how to setup S2S (L2L) VPN IPsec on an interface that is not facing the public?

Thanks 

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

You just go to IKE gateways and change local interface.

Same with GlobalProtect.

You need to change interface on Portal and Gateway config.

Example below of working tunnels on non-public facing interface.

Raido_Rattameister_0-1679678828128.png

Why would i change my IKE gateway's local interface? That is what i am trying to prevent in the first place.

I need to keep using the current VPN peer IP. (currently set to 204.x.x.10/24 and directly facing internet) 

I will Introduce a new /30 block (or /29) between me and ISP and start distributing/propagating my /24 to ISP. 

My /24 will now be behind this new /29 and peering to my 204.x.x.10/24 will be one hop away from internet. 

Thanks 

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

Assuming you currently have 204.x.x.10/24 configured on ethernet1/1 and you move it to ethernet1/2

You need to change local interface droppdown from ethernet1/1 to ethernet1/2 because IP address 204.x.x.10/24 will move between interfaces.

Raido_Rattameister_0-1679679877886.png

ok, i see, got it, this is assuming i am moving my /24 block. But i am not moving it 🙂 .

I will simply create new Zone and assign to new interfaces for the new /30.

I appreciate your input, let me go back to the consultant and challenge his theory, not sure if i will succeed, he is the expert.

Thanks again.

• 12 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!