custom url category issues

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

custom url category issues

Not applicable

OK, let me start out with I am not using the URL filtering profiles, only trying to setup whitelists for outbound web using the custom URL categories.

So I built a rule that allows my trust zone to go out to the untrust using web-browsing app and the custom url category which contains the URLs that need to go out.  When I try the connection I'm getting 503 errors and seeing 2 entries in my traffic log.  The first one is a start type that is allowed by the rule with an any in the URL category, the second is a deny that is getting dropped by the deny all cleanup rule at the bottom with a not-resolved URL category.  What I'm trying to figure out is why it isn't being allowed by the URL category.

18 REPLIES 18

L7 Applicator

Hi,

Could you please verify the category from below mentioned link.

http://www.brightcoud.com/support/lookip.php

Also check the traffic logs ( click into the magnifying glass symbol of the dropped traffic)  for more details.

Thanks

Subhankar

It comes up with a category but I'm not sure how that applies since I'm not using Brightcloud, just trying to use my own custom categories.

Result of show session ID command (IPs sanitized)

Session         1587225

c2s flow:

source:      x.x.71.42 [ProdApp]

dst:         y.y.110.122

proto:       6

sport:       38456           dport:      80

state:       INIT            type:       FLOW

src user:    unknown

dst user:    unknown

s2c flow:

source:      y.y.110.122 [Deep Dark Woods]

dst:         x.x.71.42

proto:       6

sport:       80              dport:      38456

state:       INIT            type:       FLOW

src user:    unknown

dst user:    unknown

start time                    : Tue Jul 23 08:41:06 2013

timeout                       : 90 sec

total byte count(c2s)         : 730

total byte count(s2c)         : 66

layer7 packet count(c2s)      : 11

layer7 packet count(s2c)      : 1

vsys                          : vsys2

application                   : web-browsing

session to be logged at end   : False

session in session ager       : False

session synced from HA peer   : False

layer7 processing             : completed

URL filtering enabled         : True

URL category                  : not-resolved

session via syn-cookies       : False

session terminated on host    : False

session traverses tunnel      : False

captive portal session        : False

ingress interface             : ethernet1/4

egress interface              : ethernet1/15

session QoS rule              : N/A (class 4)

You may want to try checking the category on the firewall itself:

> check url www.example.com

The session output shows that the firewall isn't able to resolve the URL category. The site(s) you added to the custom URL category may not be the full list of domains. If you were to add paloaltonetworks.com to a custom URL category, there are other categories referenced by that page. Things like CDNs (akamai, etc.), site analytic cookies, and similar content may not be displayed if you are only allowing the custom category you created.

Hope this helps,

Greg

Going back to your first statement, "OK, let me start out with I am not using the URL filtering profiles." Do you even have a URL filter lic and have you downloaded a database in the past? If not, I believe the custom URL wont work as theres no database to put the custom URL category in.

Thanks,

Dominic

I don't have the check url command but if I do a test url with the url I get a "No URL database is loaded" response.

No I don't have a license, I'm starting to wonder if that's part of the issue since I am getting No URL database is loaded responses when trying to do a test url.  Is this something I can update once without the licenses since I don't really need the categories.  We are in front of an all server environment and really only need to allow a handful of sites out but unfortunately 2 of the sites have one URL each but about 50 servers doing load balancing/failover for them.

You should get a free 30day eval of URL filtering with the device. You should be able to see that online in customer portal (My Devices). Once the 30 day is applied go to device tab -> licenses and activate the URL filter, then Dynamic Updates. *Adding the URL database may require a restart.

Dominic

OK, I see that option in My Devices so I should be able to make that work.  I guess my only concern with the trial license is will I be able to tell if something is going to keep working once the trial runs out.  Can I remove the license once I update the URL database?

You can set the action to allow/deny URLs when the license expires: https://live.paloaltonetworks.com/docs/DOC-4329

L6 Presenter

if you will only use your own custom list you don't need a license.That works without license.

L5 Sessionator

Hi everyone,

If you are only using custom categories or the allow/block list, you can do this without having a URL filtering license.  The "test url" CLI command queries the cloud and the on-device database for a URL category, which means that you must have a URL filtering license in order to use that command.  So for Brinkman's case where he's only using the custom category, this CLI command is not applicable. 

Brinkman, when you created your custom category, did you also attach it to a URL filtering object and attach that to your security policy?  From your description, it sounds like there's no URL filtering profile that's getting applied with the block.

--Doris

I can't use the profiles because I don't have the license for doing URL filtering, unless I'm missing something.

Hi Brinkman,

You can use a URL filtering profile, but you can only use the allow/block list and custom category portion of a profile - you cannot use any of the categories that are provided to you without a URL filtering license.

--Doris

• 18 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!