GlobalProtect - Windows 7 Issue

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

GlobalProtect - Windows 7 Issue

L2 Linker

The company I worked for observed an unusual error today with just Windows 7 users of GlobalProtect

Windows 10 & Macos users were unaffected.

We use okta verification to allow authentication btw

capita.png

In a nutshell, did some testing in virtual machines running latest patched version of Windows 7 and Windows 10

All windows clients were able to connect, all windows 7 clients got...

An error occured in the secure channel.

error message

Both machines were running 64bit client

GlobalProtect64-4.1.2

Windows 7 2018-09-13 16-01-38.pngWindows 10 2018-09-13 16-08-02.png

Have tried older clients on both os's and always the same... win10 connect, win7 does not

Thoughts?

3 REPLIES 3

L2 Linker

UPDATE: We installed GlobalProtect64-4.1.4 on the Windows 7 machines, and the OKTA issue was no more!

It does raise more questions than it answers though...

* Could a firewall or server change have caused this?

* Why weren't macos or Win10 clients effected?

today.png

This same issue also started affecting my users as well.  It showed up just in the last few weeks.  Also appears to be isolated to Windows 7.  We also use Okta SAML authentication for GlobalProtect.  We are on GP client ver 4.0.5-8.

I'm going to test your sugestion of updating the GlobalProtect client.

Might it have been a Microsoft update altering how Windows handles SSL or TLS?

Upgrading GlobalProtect VPN client appears to be resolving the issue for us.  Swapping to ver 4.1.5 seems to be working better.  And I think they made some good improvements with the UI in ver 4.1.x over 4.0.x.

GlobalProtect release notes indicate a bug sounding similar to this issue was fixed:

• Issue ID GPC-6479
  • Fixed an issue with SAML authentication where a GlobalProtect app installed on Windows 7 endpoint failed to connect to the GlobalProtect portal and gateways and displayed the following error: Connection Failed. GlobalProtect failed to connect to the login server. Contact your IT help desk to resolve the issue. 

• 3 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!