PAN on trunked interface

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

PAN on trunked interface

L3 Networker

I have talked about this setup before but I am having issues getting it to work in the lab. I would like to position the PAN "inline" between two cisco switches that are connected via a trunked interface with specific allowed vlans. I would like to break it up and apply policies based on the tagged vlans across the trunk.

So far I have configured two physical interfaces as shown below.

Note: Everything is layer2

INSIDE

Ethernet 1/1

1/1.10    ZONE: 10-INSIDE

1/1.20    ZONE: 20-INSIDE

OUTSIDE

Ethernet 1/2

1/2.10    ZONE: 10-OUTSIDE

1/2.20    ZONE: 20-OUTSIDE

Now my question is, do I need to create a layer 2 vlan 10 and assign 1/1.10 and 1/2.10 to it? And the same for vlan 20? I tried that with no luck, has anyone had experience with this kind of setup?

1 accepted solution

Accepted Solutions

@rob.burgoyne:

You are correct, given the requirement to apply different policies to each VLAN you should use Layer2 tagged sub-interfaces to segregate the traffic.

-Benjamin

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

L6 Presenter

@rob.burgoyne:

the Palo Alto Networks device will work just fine using the setup you describe and operate on all of the IP traffic passing through the device.

There is no need to create any Layer 3 VLAN interfaces and in fact this would create unnecessary complexity. Keep It Simple!

-Benjamin

You might try reviewing this document.

https://live.paloaltonetworks.com/docs/DOC-1618

If you only have two ethernets involved and the Paloalto is not acting as the Default Gateway for these networks then VWIRE would also work.

Steve Krall

I do only have two physical ethernet interfaces, but I have about 15 VLANs that I need to police differently. So I need to breakup the vlans into seperate zones. The only way I can see to do this is via Layer 2 subinterfaces. I don't see a way to do that via vwire.

@rob.burgoyne:

You are correct, given the requirement to apply different policies to each VLAN you should use Layer2 tagged sub-interfaces to segregate the traffic.

-Benjamin

What about assigning the subinterfaces to layer2 vlans on the PAN? Sort of like a layer 2 transport vlan between the subinterfaces? Make sense? There seems to be something I'm doing wrong, or it might be something on the cisco side. Any ideas if you have done this kind of setup before?

Thanks for all the help!

I tested everything in the lab and it all works great! Thanks for the help everybody.

• 1 accepted solution
  • 6 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!