Source Address - Show ipv4

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.
Palo Alto Networks Approved
Palo Alto Networks Approved
Community Expert Verified
Community Expert Verified

Source Address - Show ipv4

L2 Linker

I just upgraded from a PA 500 to a PA 820 and something is throwing me for a loop.  In all of my reports and in the monitoring section under App Scope the firewall is reporting what appears to be ipv6 addresses, they are in the format of: "::678b:540:ffff:0".  I'd prefer to see the ipv4 address as it is much simpler to hunt down the offending user, etc.  Any way I can disable ipv6 reporting on the PA 820?  I am in PAN OS 10.1.

I should mention that the traffic logs are showing the ipv4 address.

Thanks.

Screen Shot 2021-07-08 at 8.26.00 AM.png

1 accepted solution

Accepted Solutions

L5 Sessionator

This is a known issue, PAN-167327 & PAN-167870 are P1 by engineering and resolved in the next release of 10.1.x.

Some of the IPv4 get rendered as IPv6 addresses, and other times the addresses are in hexadecimal opposed to decimal. Important note, this does not affect data plane processing, just rendering on the MGT plane.

Please note at this time 10.1.0 does not have a preferred or recommended status by Palo Alto's TAC (bookmark this page). 

Prior to upgrade of software, please review known issues & upgrade considerations, too. 

Best shot would be to downgrade to a preferred release like 10.0.6 to get reporting features back to full functionality until 10.1 earns the preferred status.

Help the community! Add tags and mark solutions please.

View solution in original post

28 REPLIES 28

L5 Sessionator

This is a known issue, PAN-167327 & PAN-167870 are P1 by engineering and resolved in the next release of 10.1.x.

Some of the IPv4 get rendered as IPv6 addresses, and other times the addresses are in hexadecimal opposed to decimal. Important note, this does not affect data plane processing, just rendering on the MGT plane.

Please note at this time 10.1.0 does not have a preferred or recommended status by Palo Alto's TAC (bookmark this page). 

Prior to upgrade of software, please review known issues & upgrade considerations, too. 

Best shot would be to downgrade to a preferred release like 10.0.6 to get reporting features back to full functionality until 10.1 earns the preferred status.

L2 Linker

Thanks.  Not going to downgrade as we are currently in our downtime here (school) so will hope something gets released in 10.1.x that will be preferred status before we start back up.

L5 Sessionator

No guarantees here, but, typically this occurs 1-3 months post release. Go-live date was June 4th, so we may be able to sneak something in before schools return 🙂  

L2 Linker

10.1.2 still not solved 😞

L0 Member

ver 10.1.2, as was mentioned by @palokb57 has not yet corrected the problem.

An IPv4 address of A.B.C.D will be written backwards, in hex.

Example, the report shows: ::dcdc:43d0:ffff:0

DC = 220, DC 220, 43 = 67, D0=208 and the tail of :ffff:0 we can toss.

Those octets of the IP are flipped, so the actual IP address in the report is:

L5 Sessionator

I'm not seeing any current JIRA tickets open for the same issues, perhaps escalate to your account team to see if your territory SE possess alternative guidance. Please note at this time, PAN-OS 10.1.x is still not TAC preferred.

Hi Slick, I dont' get your "JIRA tickets open..." It's just annoying

Palo v10-1-3 ipv6 insteed ipv4 annoyance.JPG

L5 Sessionator

I work at Palo and am relaying that our engineering team (JIRA) doesn't have tickets open on this issue at this time. Which likely means it is resolved in a maintenance release of 10.1.x, I just am unable to see which. 

I am very disappointed that even in new version10.1.3 IP v6 addresses are still displayed instead of IP v4. Why is something so essential simply ignored for months? Am I in the wrong place with my complaint?

L5 Sessionator

Best avenue to pursue is syncing with your account SE and seeing if you can't get a session with product management, both to ensure your complaint is delivered as unaltered as possible, and to hear their response likewise. 

Man I fully accept with you, so much time we have a trouble with this. Why i updated to 10.X my biggest mistake. Already on 10.1.3 and with this issue.

L0 Member

PA-820, 10.1.3, problem still exists.  Was really excited to see this marked as "fixed" in 10.1.3. notes.  Imagine my surprise...(or maybe 800 does not mean 800 series, even though 7000 is marked as "series" 🤔)

L1 Bithead

PAN-175149 Fix it already. 10.1.3 and the erroneous addresses still exist.

L1 Bithead

10.1.3 is listed as a preferred release with this bug in it. How is this not a bigger deal than just for a handful of us? Nobody generates reports or uses ACC?

• 1 accepted solution
  • 28 replies
  • 3 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!