SSL Decryption not working with Policy based forwarding

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

SSL Decryption not working with Policy based forwarding

L2 Linker

I have configured SSL decryption with one ISP which is configured via default route and it is working fine. I have another ISP and I configured to forward internet traffic from particular endpoints (same trust zone) to 2nd ISP, for this purpose i created NAT and  a PBF rule for those particular endpoints, scenario was working fine till now.

I want decrypt the outgoing internet traffic of 2nd ISP users as well, i created another decryption rule for those users by mentioning destination zone of 2nd ISP, but there is SSL error on end points.

Please help me in this regard.

Best Regards,

Shuaib Khalid
7 REPLIES 7

L5 Sessionator

Hey @Shuaib_Khalid,

The SSL error implies that the client is successfully getting decrypted but they aren't trusting the "Forward Trust" certificate that the firewall is presenting it.

Q1 - Where did you obtain the certificate from? Was it from Active Directory Certificate Server (or PKI equivalent) or self-signed on the firewall?

Q2 If from PKI, is the machine part of the domain, and have you pushed out this cert to "Trusted Root Certification Authorities" folder via GPO?

If self-signed, the certificate needs to be installed again in the Trusted Root Certification Authorities folder for the local machine.

Q3 - If the certificate marked as CA? Certificate authority?

Cheers,

Luke.

Hi Luke,

Thank for responding on the query, below are answers of your questions.

Q1 - Where did you obtain the certificate from? Was it from Active Directory Certificate Server (or PKI equivalent) or self-signed on the firewall?

Ans: Certificate is self singed generated from Palo Alto

Q2 If from PKI, is the machine part of the domain, and have you pushed out this cert to "Trusted Root Certification Authorities" folder via GPO?

Ans: I have manually imported the certificate on testing machines in Trusted Root of all browsers

If self-signed, the certificate needs to be installed again in the Trusted Root Certification Authorities folder for the local machine.

Q3 - If the certificate marked as CA? Certificate authority?

Ans: Yes, the certificate is marked as CA.

When i put testing machin on ISP 1 there no certificate error, decryption is succesfull and i got proper application detection but when i put the same machine on ISP 2 it gives SSL error.

Some Important points:

I have one SSL certificate on the firewall and two decryption policies for ISP1 and ISP2 users.

ISP1 is configured with default route while traffic is forwarding to ISP via PBF

Both ISPs are in different untrust zones

Source Zone is same

If i disable SSL decryption policy for ISP2 then browsing was succesfull

Any guess??

Best Regards,

Shuaib Khalid

Can you take a screenshot of the certificate message you are getting? Is it something like Unknown Certificate authority?

If you then click the padlock in chrome -> certificate -> certification path. Are any certificate(s) in this path showing as red X?
 That would mean they are not imported into the Trusted Root CA Store.

PBF should not break forward proxy.

Chrome_error.JPGChrome_error1.JPGFirefox_error.JPGFirefox_error1.JPGtraffic_logs(Successfull decryption).JPGtraffic_logs(Unsuccessfull decryption).JPG

Best Regards,

Shuaib Khalid

Hi Luke,

Appologize for delayed response, i have attached some screenshots in above message mentioning the SSL error in Chrome & Firefox, i have also attached traffic logs for ISP1 (Succesfull Decryption) and ISP2 (Unsuccesfull Decryption). 

Note: Non SSL sites are working fine on ISP2.

Best Regards,

Shuaib Khalid

What do you see if anything, when you click on "View Certificate" ?

Regards ... Leslie

Nothing happens on clicking "View Certificate".

Best Regards,

Shuaib Khalid
  • 7 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!