User-ID Agent placement (Domain Controller)

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

User-ID Agent placement (Domain Controller)

L1 Bithead

Hi all,

I've read the best practice guide and I can't see anything that says the agent SHOULDN'T be installed onto a domain controller.

Any experiences with that here?

We currently have the agent installed onto two Windows Server 2012 R2 member servers that are close to the DC's but will be retired soon and I need to evaluate my options. Just makes sense to put them on the DC's but am I not sure if there is a Palo recommendation not to do this?

Thanks,

3 accepted solutions

Accepted Solutions

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

Hello,

In the past I have put it onto domain controllers without any issues.

Regards,

View solution in original post

We have also installed User-ID agents on all our domain controllers (mix of Windows Server 2012 and 2016) without any problems.

L4 Transporter

You absolutely can. In the case of the Credential Filter for phishing detection, you have to install the UserID on the RODC.

But there's also a train of thought that the bare minimum should be installed on the domain controllers because they hold the keys to the kingdom. The less software installed, the less vulnerabilties you'll have on the server. 

It mostly depeneds on your environment. Small office with six employees, I'm going to install on the domain controller. Large enterprise with multple domain controllers, I'll setup a seperate server close to to the domain controllers for UserID. 

3 REPLIES 3

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

Hello,

In the past I have put it onto domain controllers without any issues.

Regards,

We have also installed User-ID agents on all our domain controllers (mix of Windows Server 2012 and 2016) without any problems.

L4 Transporter

You absolutely can. In the case of the Credential Filter for phishing detection, you have to install the UserID on the RODC.

But there's also a train of thought that the bare minimum should be installed on the domain controllers because they hold the keys to the kingdom. The less software installed, the less vulnerabilties you'll have on the server. 

It mostly depeneds on your environment. Small office with six employees, I'm going to install on the domain controller. Large enterprise with multple domain controllers, I'll setup a seperate server close to to the domain controllers for UserID. 

• 3 accepted solutions
  • 3 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!