Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Virtual memory limit exceeded, restarting - SNMPD

L3 Networker

Hi , 

i am running PAN-OS 10.1.10-h1 with PA-7080

we encounter issue on system alert showing SNMPD Virtual memory limit exceeded, restarting 

Im not notice any strange behaviour in Palo Alto, i dont know if this error should produce any impact.........what this critical error does? how to solve it?

thank you 

1 accepted solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi Kiwi 

thank you for the advise, i receive report that multiple firewall with same model have a same issue ,

after checking with palo team, it has determine have bug as we also use SNMPv3 

here i share the detail so other communities have same issue can refer to this

On PA-7000 and PA-5450: These platforms have a limit (1GB) set on snmpd virtual memory by default.
After the virtual memory snmpd hits the limit, the snmpd process is restarted. Following system log is generated upon snmpd restart:
2023/06/30 02:34:56 critical general general 0 snmpd - virtual memory limit exceeded, restarting
Usually there is no other impact other than few missed SNMP polls when snmpd is restarting.

Please refer to KB below for details
SNMPV3 polling failures and OOM messages in system log
https://knowledgebase.paloaltonetworks.com/KCSArticleDetail?id=kA14u0000008VUlCAM

The issue is fixed under PAN-217208 in PAN-OS 10.1.11. Upgrade to this or higher versions will resolve the issue
https://docs.paloaltonetworks.com/pan-os/10-1/pan-os-release-notes/pan-os-10-1-11-known-and-addresse...

thank you

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Community Team Member

Hi @Fariq_Zaidi ,

Do you use SNMP extensively on your 7080? If so, the restarts of the SNMP daemon could result in missed SNMP traps or delays. I recommend reaching out to support to troubleshoot why SNMPD is consuming so much memory and restarting.

LIVEcommunity team member
Stay Secure,
Jay
Don't forget to Like items if a post is helpful to you!

Please help out other users and “Accept as Solution” if a post helps solve your problem !

Read more about how and why to accept solutions.

Hi Jay thank you for the support

Thank you

Community Team Member

Hi @Fariq_Zaidi ,

I've seen similar behaviour in relation to bug PAN-222188.

As @JayGolf suggested, please reach out to TAC to confirm if you're running into this exact issue. 

Target fixes for that specific issue are 11.0.4, 11.2.0, 11.1.3, 10.2.9, 10.2.11, 10.1.13, 10.1.9-h9

Kind regards,

-Kim.

LIVEcommunity team member, CISSP
Cheers,
Kiwi
Please help out other users and “Accept as Solution” if a post helps solve your problem !

Read more about how and why to accept solutions.

Hi Kiwi 

thank you for the advise, i receive report that multiple firewall with same model have a same issue ,

after checking with palo team, it has determine have bug as we also use SNMPv3 

here i share the detail so other communities have same issue can refer to this

On PA-7000 and PA-5450: These platforms have a limit (1GB) set on snmpd virtual memory by default.
After the virtual memory snmpd hits the limit, the snmpd process is restarted. Following system log is generated upon snmpd restart:
2023/06/30 02:34:56 critical general general 0 snmpd - virtual memory limit exceeded, restarting
Usually there is no other impact other than few missed SNMP polls when snmpd is restarting.

Please refer to KB below for details
SNMPV3 polling failures and OOM messages in system log
https://knowledgebase.paloaltonetworks.com/KCSArticleDetail?id=kA14u0000008VUlCAM

The issue is fixed under PAN-217208 in PAN-OS 10.1.11. Upgrade to this or higher versions will resolve the issue
https://docs.paloaltonetworks.com/pan-os/10-1/pan-os-release-notes/pan-os-10-1-11-known-and-addresse...

thank you

• 1 accepted solution
  • 4 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!