GP portal Login failed with Azure AD SAML.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

GP portal Login failed with Azure AD SAML.

L4 Transporter

Hi Team,

I have configured Azure AD SAML in GP portal in but unable to access the portal getting the error as 

"Username from SAML SSO response is different from the input" 

Please share your thought on this. 

Snow
2 REPLIES 2

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

@SubaMuthuram,

Azure SAML by default will return the username as the UPN of the username attribute in Azure. This can usually be solved by just having the primary username attribute set to userPrincipalName on your group mapping profile. 

L6 Presenter

Does anyone have any additional insight into this error? Currently trying to move existing GP Gateway Client Settings from an "any" user selection to a specific group selection for differing GP options based on user. It worked in testing on one Gateway, but after rolling out it started randomly failing across all Gateways with this "Username from SAML SSO response is different from the input" error.

I was previously using userPrincipalName as the Username Attribute in my Authentication Profile for SSO, which worked but didn't really meet our userID needs. This is do to Azure using a UPN in the form "user.name@example.com" and our internal AD using the form "example.local\user.name", I created a custom claim "paloaltologin" using a transform in the Azure SAML config to give the correct format. I then call "paloaltologin" from the SAML as the Username Attribute in the PA.

It worked great in testing, but now fails after the GP client submits the correct username format "example.local\User.Name", but the PA seems to test against "User.Name" instead and I'm not sure where that is coming from.

Portal/Gateway Stage Event Status Source User Description/Error
GW-A before-login gateway-prelogin success   SAML request sent
GW-A login gateway-auth success example.local\User.Name Auth latency: 3ms, profile: AzureSSO-custom
GW-A login gateway-auth failure User.Name Username from SAML SSO response is different from the input

GW-B before-login gateway-prelogin success    
GW-B

login

gateway-auth success user.name@example.com Auth latency: 3ms, profile: AzureSSO
GW-B login gateway-auth success user.name@example.com  
GW-B login gateway-register success user.name@example.com  
GW-B configuration gateway-getconfig success user.name@example.com Config name: GW-B

The only difference between AzureSSO and AzureSSO-custom Authentication Profiles is that the Username attribute has been changed from default claim "userprincipalname" to custom claim "paloaltologin".

There is PAN-221857 which produces the "Username from SAML SSO response..." error, but that shows as fixes in 10.2.8 and we are running 10.2.9-h1.

• 2 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!