Alert ID 95501 Microsoft Windows Remote Desktop Licensing Service Remote Code Execution Vulnerability

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Alert ID 95501 Microsoft Windows Remote Desktop Licensing Service Remote Code Execution Vulnerability

L2 Linker

Hello,

After installing the last content update (https://proditpdownloads.paloaltonetworks.com/content/content-8880-8907.html?__token__=exp=172414152...)

I have a lot of traffic blocked from my servers to the licence microsoft server. But the licence servers get the patch from microsoft (CVE-2024-38077). Does anyone have the same problem ?

Other question more technical:  I configured Ip address exemption (licence servers ) on my IPS profile with the 'alert' action for this signature. Could you confirm, if this signature match other servers, traffic will still be blocked?

Edit: I have found the answer for IP-address-exemptions behaviour,

https://knowledgebase.paloaltonetworks.com/KCSArticleDetail?id=kA14u0000008UscCAE

I opened a tac case as well. 

Regards,

10 REPLIES 10

L1 Bithead

Yes, we have the same issue!
We rolled back the update and disabled threat prevention update's as a temporary solution.
We also made a case with Palo Alto.
It looks like it also blocks none malicious traffic

L2 Linker

Hello thanks for your reply. Concerning 'We rolled back the update and disabled threat prevention as a temporary solution.' : i cannot do this for securiy reasons, it's safer to disable only the signature if you want my opinion. If you have news from Palo Alto  : i m all ears.

Regards, 

L1 Bithead

Update:

Yes, we are seeing multiple internal reports with False positives, at this stage, we are reviewing the signature with engineering for a possible false positive.

I will keep you updated!

On our side we just put the "Vulnerability Protection" to None on the matching security policy, waiting now for the corrective patch from Palo Alto.

You can set an Exception for ID 95501 in your Vulnerability Protection Profile and set the Action to "alert".

L0 Member

same issues here. Did make an exception.

L0 Member

Same issue, added exception for now

L0 Member

Hello, You need to update your license server.
Palo updated their threat database : 

alixc_0-1723562035926.png

Edit : I just saw, you installed the patch ..

L0 Member

It looks like this specific content update (8880-8907) has been withdrawn. It is no longer visible at the Dynamic Updates or downloadable from the Customer Portal.

L2 Linker

Update : it's official they are working on it : Version 8881 - signature disabled to address a possible fp issue

• 10 replies
  • 7 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!