cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

URL Filtering: Categories for Suicide Promotion/Self-Harm Promotion

L2 Linker

Hi!

Unless I've been dumb enough to miss them, the Palo Alto URL filtering database lacks a category for suicide/self-harm promotion sites. I've now been asked for a second time if we could block such sites. As a higher education institute, we're really rather interested in such blocking such categories - who knows? It may be the tipping point for other HE institutions into purchasing the license for URL filtering. 

I've already logged this as a feature request through our support channel (Khipu) but if other people could weigh in, it might encourage Palo Alto that this is a desirable feature.  

4 REPLIES 4

L4 Transporter

Hello MikeMeredith,

If you have already raised a feature request to your account team (I am not aware of Khipu), you need to wait it is implemented (unfortunately, I do not have a timeline).

Now until there is such category, you can opt for a block by default and only allow some approved category (instead of allow all minus self harm // you allow only the categories you want).

https://docs.paloaltonetworks.com/advanced-url-filtering/administration/url-filtering-basics/url-cat...

Also, in the meantime, if you have some URLs of website, you can test the website against https://urlfiltering.paloaltonetworks.com/.

So you can block the category.

Or if there are some child protection associations which maintain a harmful URL list, you can use the EDL feature.

Not totally related, but this PANCast episode may give some ideas too.

Olivier

PCSNE - CISSP

Best Effort contributor

Check out our PANCast Channel

Disclaimer : All messages are my personal ones and do not represent my company's view in any way.

L2 Linker

Hi!

Thanks for the response. Blocking everything but sites categorised by Palo Alto would make management very twitchy - HE is customarily not in favour of censureship except on a case by case (it's a topic for discussion with senior management and has been for 3 months at least). Yes an EDL could also function, but these are adults not children. New 18-year old students may be very young adults but they're still not children!

Hello MikeMeredith,

My bad, I used the wrong word, but the idea is the same.

I guess some association preventing against self-harm/suicide may have done a URL list.

Until the category is made, I think it is something to explore (your organisation can initiate the URL list, if it is not done by someone else, so that benefits to all schools / universities).

Olivier

PCSNE - CISSP

Best Effort contributor

Check out our PANCast Channel

Disclaimer : All messages are my personal ones and do not represent my company's view in any way.

L2 Linker

It's been accepted as a feature request.

• 4 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!