BGP Dampening Profiles

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

BGP Dampening Profiles

L1 Bithead

All,

Does anyone know the CLI command to use to view the dampening profiles status on flapping routes?  There looks like a way to clear the status with clear counters bgp ... but I cannot find the available show command.

Thanks in advance,

Jason

5 REPLIES 5

L3 Networker

Hey jduff,

In CLI mode, type:

> configure

Then:

# show network virtual-router [vrouter name] default protocol bgp dampening profile [name].

This is what the output of the default profile is, after running this command:

show network virtual-router default default protocol bgp dampening profile default

BGP.png

Hope this was what you were looking for.

Alex

That's not exactly what I'm looking for, thanks though.

I'm actually looking for the actual route being dampened / flapping and any related statistics for that.

show routing protocol bgp loc-rib-detail shows

Flap:                      value 0.00, count 0

But I'm looking for anything else their might be. 

L5 Sessionator

I couldn't find a show command which exhibits any information about the Dampening profiles after some extensive browsing under

>show routing protocol bgp,  hierarchy.I will try to finding more on this.

It feels like there should exist a counter, somewhere... the question is where Smiley Happy

dampening-profile <name> |

{

cutoff <value> |

decay-half-life-reachable <value> |

decay-half-life-unreachable <value> |

enable {no | yes} |

max-hold-time <value> |

reuse <value>

}

routing |

{

bgp virtual-router <name> |

{

dampening {prefix <ip/netmask> | peer <value>} |

stat peer <value>

}

clear

> routing — Clears routing information

> bgp — Clears BGP counters

> dampening — Resets BGP route dampening status (option to filter by prefix or by BGP peer)

> stat — Clears statistic counters (option to filter by BGP peer)

Edit: By the way shouldnt there be a SYSTEM subtype=routing logmessage generated when dampening occurs (or at least an option somewhere to log these events)?

The reason I think some sort of counter exists is that you can clear dampening statistics as mikand shows.

Basically, I'm trying to test a dampening profile by using Spirent Testcenter to insert and remove routes, over and over again.  Unfortunately, I'm not seeing the routes be dampened, but can't find any statistics to tell me what is, or what is not, going on.

I would agree it seems like you would see a log message for this, but I'm not clear on that either.

• 5 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!