Blocking files by URL Category and Zone direction

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Blocking files by URL Category and Zone direction

L4 Transporter

Hello,

I currently have a security rule that blocks the downloads of ".exe" files from the "unknown" URL category (which sits above my general Internet/WildFire Forward rule).  It works extremely well in dropping a huge amount of the garbage out there.  However, occasionally the garbage makes it past that rule and sends up a WildFire event.  Again, Deny rule comes before the WildFire forward.  I noticed from the WildFire alert that in the cases of communication which appears to bypass the deny rule - the source and destination are actually reversed to what the rule is set.  Instead of my user being the source - it is now the destination.  Should my rule to deny the .exe also include a bidirectional zone?

Current Deny .exe rule

Source Zone - Internal

Destination Zone - External

Application - Web-Browsing

URL Category - "Unknown" (PANDB)

Profile - "DenyEXE" File blocking profile for .exe/download/block

Should my zones be a bidirectional setup to block anything that is coming inbound? I had hoped the user session would keep state of that? Should the File Blocking profile be both upload and download?   Thanks!

Mike

1 accepted solution

Accepted Solutions

L4 Transporter

It appears my resolution was that in my file blocking profile only had "download" for the direction.  Modifying to "both" looks to have done the trick.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

L4 Transporter

Want to add that if adding the bidirectional zone would be beneficial - it concerns me to add "external" source to "internal" destination in this case.  How big a concern is that in this particular setup? We are NAT'd behind the external interface.  Thanks.

L4 Transporter

It appears my resolution was that in my file blocking profile only had "download" for the direction.  Modifying to "both" looks to have done the trick.

• 1 accepted solution
  • 2 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!