Can't set management interface network settings on 8.0 ESX VM

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Can't set management interface network settings on 8.0 ESX VM

L0 Member

Hi, I have configured the management interface by logging in to the VM and going into configure mode and executing:

set deviceconfig system ip-address 172.18.11.205 netmask 255.255.255.224
set deviceconfig system default-gateway 172.18.11.193

and then

commit

I've tried to ping the default gateway but it fails.  Also, I do a "show interface management" and it shows that the IP addr/mask/default gw is not set!

Am I missing something or is this a bug? 

1 accepted solution

Accepted Solutions

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

@rcompton,

You needed to run 'set deviceconfig system type static'.

In 8.0 and up the user of hypervisor assigned MAC and DHCP addresses on management interfaces is enabled by default on VM-Series firewall instalations. The only reason that the issue didn't present itself when you upgraded is the feature is disabled if you upgrade from an earlier release. I believe that it's supposed to issue you a validation error if you try and set IP information without first setting it to static entry, but I could be wrong. 

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

Is commit successful?

Commit shows you:

Commit job 15505 is in progress. Use Ctrl+C to return to command prompt

To check status use exit conf mode

#exit

> show jobs id 15505

Change number according your output.

Paste result here.

Enterprise Architect, Security @ Cloud Carib Ltd
Palo Alto Networks certified from 2011

Thanks for the reply.  Yes, the commit was successful.  I was able to work around this issue by installing a OVA of 7.1 and then upgrading to 8.0.  Very surprising to me that this basic functionality is not working in 8.0.

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

@rcompton,

You needed to run 'set deviceconfig system type static'.

In 8.0 and up the user of hypervisor assigned MAC and DHCP addresses on management interfaces is enabled by default on VM-Series firewall instalations. The only reason that the issue didn't present itself when you upgraded is the feature is disabled if you upgrade from an earlier release. I believe that it's supposed to issue you a validation error if you try and set IP information without first setting it to static entry, but I could be wrong. 

• 1 accepted solution
  • 3 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!