Cannot apply advanced filters for O365 API feeds

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Cannot apply advanced filters for O365 API feeds

L1 Bithead

I'm trying to filter out unneeded/unnecessary indicators from our O365 feed, but no matter where I apply the filters I am still receiving all of the indicators.

For example, I would like to filter on only indicators available over Express Route, and in the JSON you can see that 'expressRoute' is an available field with a boolean value of either true or false, but trying to add an infilter or outfilter condition for 'o365_expressRoute' doesn't work. I just end up with 0 indicators in my output due to the drop all at the end of my condition statements.

Can someone explain to me why this is? There's even an available prototype that comes with MineMeld for filtering out 3rd Party Integrations from the O365 API feed, and even that doesn't work.

1 accepted solution

Accepted Solutions

L5 Sessionator

Hi @benime,

just attempted to reproduce your experience in my lab unsuccesfully. In my case, the input filter for the Express Route condition works like a charm.

This is my infilter configuration:

infilters:
-   actions:
    - accept
    conditions:
    - __method == 'withdraw'
    name: accept withdraws
-   actions:
    - accept
    conditions:
    - o365_expressRoute == true
    name: accept o365_expressRoute
-   actions:
    - drop
    name: drop all

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

L5 Sessionator

Hi @benime,

just attempted to reproduce your experience in my lab unsuccesfully. In my case, the input filter for the Express Route condition works like a charm.

This is my infilter configuration:

infilters:
-   actions:
    - accept
    conditions:
    - __method == 'withdraw'
-   actions:
    - accept
    conditions:
-   actions:
    - drop

@xhoms, It's funny because I was using almost the exact same syntax/conditions you were; except I was using single quotes around the 'true' in the o365_expressRoute condition.

Once I removed those it works as expected, now.

Thanks for following up!

Hi Guys,

I have tried to accomplish something similar, but instead of filtering on expressRoute I wanted to filter on "required" JSON field.

It seems I have able to accomplish this, but I still don't understnad why you need to append "o365_" to the name of the JSON field:

infilters:
-   actions:
    - accept
    conditions:
    - __method == 'withdraw'
-   actions:
    - accept
    conditions:
    - type == 'URL'
    - o365_required == true
    name: accept required URL only
-   actions:
    - drop
whitelist_prefixes:
- wl

Hi @aleksandar.astardzhiev,

current O365_API miner implementation prefixes the attributes 'expressRoute', 'optionalImpact', 'serviceArea', 'tcpPorts', 'udpPorts', 'category' and 'required' with the 'o365_' string. That is the reason.

https://github.com/PaloAltoNetworks/minemeld-core/blob/dc261fe35614b87ab554b08a0e2a7962850bb23d/mine...

Hi @xhoms,

I would like to filter for indicators with the category "allow" or "optimize" only. How would you define the filter for that? I cannot find that much information regarding filtering using a processor. I hope my steps are correct? 

1. create a new prototype of the IPv4Generic processor
  2. create infilters for that
    infilters:
    -   actions:
        - accept
        conditions:
        - __method == 'withdraw'
    -   actions:
        - accept
        conditions:
        - o365_category == 'Allow'
        name: accept o365_categoryAllow
    - actions:
    - accept
    conditions:
    - o365_category == 'Optimize'
    name: accept o365_categoryOptimize - actions: - drop name: drop all
  3. create a processor node using the previously selfmade prototype
  4. set as input the o365 miner
  5. create a output / feed node using the HCGreenWithValue prototype & set as input the selfmade processor

Thanks a lot for your help!

I have created a feed of O365 URLs filtering on expressRoute = True

infilters:
-   actions:
    - accept
    conditions:
    - __method == 'withdraw'
-   actions:
    - accept
    conditions:
-   actions:
    - drop

All works fine...  However,

Comparing the results from Minemeld with the output from a bit of PowerShell, which does the same job. Minemeld does not include the URL *.outlook.office.com.  

(Invoke-WebRequest -Uri $EndpointUri  | ConvertFrom-Json) | % { 
    if ($_.expressRoute) { $_.urls }
     }

I can not see why.  

• 1 accepted solution
  • 6 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!