Globalprotect: Externel On Demand logon with RADIUS, internal SSO

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Globalprotect: Externel On Demand logon with RADIUS, internal SSO

L4 Transporter

Hi Community,

my customer wants to use Globalprotect for on demand login with a MFA radius server.

Everything fine - configured is and it works.

Now, we want to use Globalprotect as an internal UserID source.

So every GP-Client needs to do Userlogon SSO when connected to internal network (should be completely transparent to the users). But only on demand, the users should decide to connect to GP-Portal to initiate a VPN connection to external gateway.

Because we cannot expect from the endusers, to choose this GP-Portal for VPN connect, and the other one for internal GW connection, we need to use only one portal for this need.

Is that possible? How to configure it? Auth Sequence with first SSO, second RADIUS? How to do User-Logon SSO when connected interanl and only on demand when connected to external ?

Best Regards

Chacko

Best Regards
Chacko
1 accepted solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi Jan,

internal host detection won't work with on demand setup.

So the customer needs to choose.

From my point of view, always on is the only secure version and on-demand should be avoided.

Best Regards
Chacko

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

Hello,

Check out these videos, I think they are what you are looking for.

https://knowledgebase.paloaltonetworks.com/KCSArticleDetail?id=kA10g000000Cm2uCAC

Regards,

L7 Applicator

Have you looked into using regions in your external gateway config.

Regions take priority over "Gateway Priority"  so add all internal gateways to your portal config but add regions to the internal ones.

Available on 8.sumfink

L7 Applicator

Hmmm... just re read your post...   so you want users to auto connect when on the lan but on demand connection when not on the lan....

this is before you even consider what auth methods to use...

i dont get it...  sorry. would you not be better off with captive portal when on the lan?

Well, we want to user internal Globalprotect to get more resilient UserID information and to prevent policiy-mismatches, when the users aren't spamming any Kerberors tickets - so internal Globalprotect with mode "User Login" and Kerberos SSO would be the way to go.

But the same users/devices should be allowed to do internet stuff when beeing external and they should decide when to use VPN, so this is a thing for "on demand" mode.

We cannot expect, that the users will be happy with using different portals - that must work transparently.

Best Regards
Chacko

I can't think of a solution to this.

almost... as you can have regional gateways for different auths depending on your location and you could have 2 portals, one internal and one external and let your DNS point you to the correct one..

but even then, you will need to manually connect to the internal portal to get the setting put back to always on...

Good Luck...

Mick

Thanks, I guess I need to try this out.

Problem is the connect mode - I would need userlogon for sso and on demand for external auth.

I will check this out and call out for our Palo SE if it doesn't work - this should be a common setup I assumed

Best Regards
Chacko

Hi @Chacko42 

Any news about this setup? I have exactly the same use case to solve.

Thank you,

Jan

Hi Jan,

internal host detection won't work with on demand setup.

So the customer needs to choose.

From my point of view, always on is the only secure version and on-demand should be avoided.

Best Regards
Chacko
  • 1 accepted solution
  • 8 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!