HIPs check for Client Side Certificate

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

HIPs check for Client Side Certificate

L1 Bithead

Is it possible to use HIPs to verify the presence of a Client Side Certificate such as GlobalProtect cert for a computer and also check for cert on a mobile device? If the device has the cert then we would allow it through a firewall policy.

1 accepted solution

Accepted Solutions

8 REPLIES 8

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

Hello,

Would this device you are attempting to check behind the firewall or connecting via a client VPN connection?

Regards,

Thanks for replying and it would be connecting via a GlobalProtect VPN client.

Thanks for that info. The issue is that we would need to check for a specfic certificate: the machine certificate and I cannot seem to find a registry entry that allows me to do that. I believe I need to open a case with Palo Alto Support and I will report back with results if possible. Thank You

L1 Bithead

Well in the end we did not find a way to use HIPs custom checks in order to verify a machine certificate. The issue being that the certificate stuff is stored in the registry in blob format which doesnt allow parsing for specifics.

I have convinced the team to move forward by using GlobalProtect Certificate check against our PKI

L1 Bithead
hello, I have not found information associated with being able to implement any hip control associated with a particular certificate, I need to separate the external and internal users of a client but we need to validate the certificate, internal and external will have a different certificate, there will be some documentation available for Current versions? Is it possible for the globalprotect client to take the data from the certificate installed on the pc device and compare these data with the hip profile validate certificate and comply or not with the posture?
thanks

Community Team Member

Hi @jmsepulveda ,

As from PAN-OS 9.0, GlobalProtect introduced Certificate as an element in HIP Object.

This allows customers to identify managed devices and control access based on the device based on the specific machine certificate (including certificate attributes) present on the device.

source: https://docs.paloaltonetworks.com/pan-os/10-2/pan-os-web-interface-help/globalprotect/objects-global...

Hope this helps,

-Kiwi.

LIVEcommunity team member, CISSP
Cheers,
Kiwi
Please help out other users and “Accept as Solution” if a post helps solve your problem !

Read more about how and why to accept solutions.

Hello, but that kb does not provide much information, I had already seen it before, it does not indicate what type of certificates can be used and if
yo need to place this certificate in some other firewall configuration, the globalprotect agent is able to read the certificate information , whenever I look at the globalprotect I see the certificate section blank

• 1 accepted solution
  • 8 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!