How do I create my list of blocked IPs for firewall to feed from ?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

How do I create my list of blocked IPs for firewall to feed from ?

L3 Networker

I need to create my list 'MineMeld-source-List' of blocked IPs which I want to use in the rule. I tried to use prototype stdlib.listIPv4Generic as input where I can add indicators. Then used stdlib.aggregatorIPv4Inbound based aggregator and subsribed firewall to stdlib.feedHCGreen based output (MineMeld-source-List). But on firewall I am getting warning EDL(vsys1/MineMeld-source-List ip) Downloaded file is either not a text file or empty file during policy commit. In the Logs/System I can see 'EDL(MineMeld-source-List) EDL Fetch job done' every 5 min but it is not working. Also on firewall I can see:

admin@MR-DC(active)> request system external-list show type ip name MineMeld-source-List

Server error : entry not found

2 accepted solutions

Accepted Solutions

Hi @niuk !

You have selected feedHCGreen, this output accepts only indicator with confidence above 75 (and by default indicators created in listIPv4Generic have confidence 100) and with share level green. Please double check all the indicators you have created are Green. Also the aggregator inbound accepts only indicator with direction Inbound, once again please check the indicators you have created have direction INBOUND or UNKNOWN.

Once done you should be able to access your feed at https://<minemeld ip address>/feeds/source-output

luigi

View solution in original post

Hi @niuk,

- check with the browser going directly to "https://<minemeld ip address>/feeds/source-output", do you see all the indicators you have creted ? If not:

- check inside the MineMeld logs with the following query: "source:source-output op:DROP_UPDATE" to see if some indicators have been dropped by the feed

- check if the EDL object is point to the right URL (https://<minemeld ip address>/feeds/source-output)

- check inside the ms.log on PAN-OS for errors around EDL download

Luigi

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

L7 Applicator

Hi @niuk,

please could you share you MineMeld config ? You can export it from the CONFIG tab.

Thanks !
luigi

L3 Networker

Here it is, I am referring to 'path' with 'source-*', so source-input, source-agggregator and source-output

nodes:
  spamhaus_EDROP:
    output: true
    prototype: spamhaus.EDROP
  dshield_blocklist:
    prototype: dshield.block
  inboundaggregator:
    inputs:
      - spamhaus_DROP
      - spamhaus_EDROP
      - dshield_blocklist
      - wlWhiteListIPv4
      - panos_syslog_miner
    prototype: stdlib.aggregatorIPv4Inbound
  inboundfeedhc:
    inputs:
      - inboundaggregator
    output: false
    prototype: stdlib.feedHCGreen
  spamhaus_DROP:
    prototype: spamhaus.DROP
  wlWhiteListIPv4:
    inputs: []
    prototype: stdlib.listIPv4Generic
  inboundfeedlc:
    inputs:
      - inboundaggregator
    prototype: stdlib.feedLCGreen
  inboundfeedmc:
    inputs:
      - inboundaggregator
    prototype: stdlib.feedMCGreen
  panos_syslog_miner:
    prototype: stdlib.syslogMiner
  syslog_analyzer:
    inputs:
      - inboundaggregator
    prototype: stdlib.localSyslog
  source-WhiteList:
    prototype: stdlib.listIPv4Generic
  source-aggregator:
    inputs:
      - source-WhiteList
    prototype: stdlib.aggregatorIPv4Inbound
  source-output:
    inputs:
      - source-aggregator
    prototype: stdlib.feedHCGreen

Hi @niuk !

You have selected feedHCGreen, this output accepts only indicator with confidence above 75 (and by default indicators created in listIPv4Generic have confidence 100) and with share level green. Please double check all the indicators you have created are Green. Also the aggregator inbound accepts only indicator with direction Inbound, once again please check the indicators you have created have direction INBOUND or UNKNOWN.

Once done you should be able to access your feed at https://<minemeld ip address>/feeds/source-output

luigi

It works now after changiung direction and share level. 'request system external..' still shows server error, but I can see the ip addresses dropped in logs by the rule using my MineMeld-source-List

admin@MR-DC1-PFWP02(active)> request system external-list show type ip name MineMeld-source-List 

L3 Networker

One more thing, I updated my MineMeld-source-List but on firewall I can see that 'EDL(MineMeld-source-List) No changes to list file' ? And it is not working for updated IP (I reloaded indicator list)

Hi @niuk,

- check with the browser going directly to "https://<minemeld ip address>/feeds/source-output", do you see all the indicators you have creted ? If not:

- check inside the MineMeld logs with the following query: "source:source-output op:DROP_UPDATE" to see if some indicators have been dropped by the feed

- check if the EDL object is point to the right URL (https://<minemeld ip address>/feeds/source-output)

- check inside the ms.log on PAN-OS for errors around EDL download

Luigi

- "https://<minemeld ip address>/feeds/source-output" is showing all the indicators I creted

10.199.107.10-10.199.107.10
192.168.3.0-192.168.3.255

-  nothing in "source:source-output op:DROP_UPDATE" but .. logs don't go too far because I receiverd Error receiving outputs Metrics internal error and restarted server

- the EDL object  points to the right URL I can test it with button click and as I said it is working fine for 

192.168.3.0-192.168.3.255

but not for  which was added later, after feed created

10.199.107.10-10.199.107.10

But I 've noticed that after restarting MineMeld I have all Indicatiors blocked correctly by firewall. It happened to me that I had to restart server second time, practically every 2 days (I've got this internal error second time).

Hi @niuk,

logs are stored on disk, you don't lose them with restarts.

Could you send me your /opt/minemeld/log/minemeld-engine.log and /opt/minemeld/log/minemeld-web.log files in a zip at lmori@paloaltonetworks.com ? I'd like to give a look at the internal errors.

Thanks,

luigi

The error message 

is most likely caused by not setting the vsys, if you do,

> set system setting target-vsys vsys1

This should work.

• 2 accepted solutions
  • 9 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!