i'd like to know an average disk usage for PA appliance.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

i'd like to know an average disk usage for PA appliance.

L3 Networker

Hi all.

somebody who has a datasheet of disk usage for every single appliance including PA 5000 series??

Of course I know it is impossible to calculate correctly because it is depend on customer’s networks environment.

What I want to know is that just rough disk usage for every single appliance.

Below is an example.(below table is an incorrect data. it is just an example for understanding my question.)

Model
Total Disk
assigned disk size for loginternet speed

number of days

(roughly)

PA-202080G50G100M7days.

Regards,

Eugene.

2 REPLIES 2

L4 Transporter

willstech wrote:

Hi all.

somebody who has a datasheet of disk usage for every single appliance including PA 5000 series??

Of course I know it is impossible to calculate correctly because it is depend on customer’s networks environment.

What I want to know is that just rough disk usage for every single appliance.

Below is an example.(below table is an incorrect data. it is just an example for understanding my question.)

Model
Total Disk
assigned disk size for loginternet speed

number of days

(roughly)

PA-202080G50G100M7days.

Regards,

Eugene.

There's no hard and fast answer for this.

The amount of disk space used for logs and how rapidly it fills is related to how much logging you have enabled/turned on. I've now had my PAN devices in operation for approximately 6 months, and have used only 48% of the 125G allocated on the logs partition - but while I log traffic, I *only* log URL filtering for certain categories, not every single transaction - which means the log load is a lot lower than it could be.

If I cranked the URl filtering up to logging every single transaction, regardless of allow of deny status, I'd eat log space a lot faster.

As always, YMMV.

L6 Presenter

You can calculate the disk usage/log retention of your network by querying 2 stats in the CLI: logdb-quota and the log.  In this example, the traffic log usage = 15G and the oldest log is 2011/04/04 06:16:20.   With this information, you can get a good idea of how many hours/days of traffic log to fill up 15GB.  You can use the same method for threat log.

Note that the URL logs & threat logs are combined together in the threat database. You can also reduce the disk usage for URL log by setting some categories like content-delivery networks, dynamic-contents, and web-advertisements to 'Allow' which is permit & not log.

admin@pan> show system logdb-quota

total log disk size: 50 GB
quotas:
    traffic: 32%, 16 GB
    threat: 16%, 8 GB
    system: 4%, 2 GB
    config: 4%, 2 GB
    appstat: 12%, 6 GB
    trsum: 12%, 6 GB
    thsum: 4%, 2 GB
Disk usage:
traffic: Logs: 15G,
Index: 2.7G
threat: Logs: 7.2G, Index: 1.4G
appstatdb: Logs: 495M, Index: 476M
trsum: Logs: 5.2G, Index: 999M
thsum: Logs: 499M, Index: 492M
config: Logs: 5.3M, Index: 5.4M
system: Logs: 266M, Index: 245M
Data:
traffic: Logs: 15G, Index: 2.7G
threat: Logs: 7.2G, Index: 1.4G
appstatdb: Logs: 493M, Index: 473M
trsum: Logs: 5.2G, Index: 995M

admin@pan> show log traffic

Time                App             From            Src Port   Source
Rule                Action          To              Dst Port   Destination
                    Src User        Dst User
===============================================================================
2011/04/04 06:16:20 web-browsing    tapzone         51750     10.154.12.80
Monitor ALL         allow           tapzone         80        74.125.127.160

• 2 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!