ISP Redundancy Configuration Assistance

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

ISP Redundancy Configuration Assistance

L2 Linker

Hello All,

We recently contracted with a second ISP for redundancy.  I have been looking for instructions on how to set this up, but have not had much luck.  I did find the following articles, but none of them actually show how to completely set it up:

How to Configure ISP Redundancy and Load Balancing  This one comes close, but some important steps are missing

How to Setup a Palo Alto Networks Firewall with Dual ISPs and Automatic VPN Failover Again, comes close, but I don't need the VPN info

Can anyone provide better instructions for how to add a second ISP for redundancy?

5 REPLIES 5

L2 Linker

My confusion may be how to actually add the second ISP to the PA.  Do I add an interface with a DHCP assigned address from the Comcast modem? 

Hello Grubbsy,

I think you may follow the second DOC without VPN tunnel. It means, in the VR2, you have to define the static route pointing towards your ISP-2 IP address, instead of a tunnel interface.

Thanks

We only have one internal subnet, do I have to create a second VR or can I just add a static route to our Comcast modem with a higher metric?

I would recommend you to have 2 separate VR, one for Primary ISP ( through PBF) and another will be for Secondary ISP ( through touting table).

Thanks

L3 Networker

I just accomplished this with the following DOC:

Dual ISP Branch Office Configuration

Works great with one VR! we used two different zones forthe two different external ISP's but that just means we had to double up or combine our rules. There were only a few anyway.

• 5 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!