QOS - real time bandwidth monitoring

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

QOS - real time bandwidth monitoring

L1 Bithead

Hi All,

I've created a generic QoS profile under Network >> QoS but when I view the graph it shows the bandwidth as being much less that I know it is.

At the moment I'm streaming music which is around 2 Mbps but the graph never goes above 0.25 Mbps

Have I missed something in the config?

ChrisDownes_0-1592593088294.png

3 REPLIES 3

L1 Bithead

I'm downloading a 5GB ISO from MS and I know I'm getting around 170Mbps via the switch CLI but the Palo Alto QoS is completely wrong...

ChrisDownes_0-1592597835626.png

Hello @ChrisDownes 

QoS in PA works on egress traffic only. If ethernet1/1 is your Internet interface, then the figures might be correct since you are watching the traffic to the Internet. Let's assume your LAN interface is ethernet1/2, then apply QoS on that interface as well (and compare the figures with the data from network switch.

Hello @ChrisDownes 

For QoS it is always applied to the source of the traffic.

A QoS profile will be applied on egressing packets so the profile needs to be attached to the interface where the biggest data stream is going to exit the firewall. In your case if users are receiving streaming from the internet so the biggest data flow will go from the internet to the client and the QoS profile on the client side will be applied to limit the flow.

So we should apply QoS to the PA interface which connects to the LAN

MP

Help the community: Like helpful comments and mark solutions.
  • 3 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!