change portal address remotely

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

change portal address remotely

L1 Bithead

We want to move the users to a different portal adres. How can we do this without asking all users to manualy adjust the portal adres?

i've tried changing the reg key set at installation time, but this didn't work (tried rebooting and refresh connection).

After the reboot it even changed back!

Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Palo Alto Networks\GlobalProtect\PanSetup

My assumption would be:

1. change regkey adres

2. delete the appdata folder

C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Local\Palo Alto Networks\GlobalProtect

3. reboot ?

8 REPLIES 8

L7 Applicator

Hi @NOC-VL 

Did you try this way?

1. Stop the PanGPS Service
  2. Change the reg key for the portal
  3. Start the PanGPS Service again

yes. and it changes it back to the old value after you start the service again.

Any updates on this? We have exactly the same issue. It works after i repair the installation manually on the computer, but that just isn't doable for all my users.

the sequence should be

net stop panGPS

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Palo Alto Networks\GlobalProtect\Settings] "LastUrl"="your-portal-here"

remove old portal
[-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Palo Alto Networks\GlobalProtect\Settings\old-portal]

net start panGPS

But this can't be executed. a normal user can't stop/start pangps and a system user doesn't know the users regkey.

I've written a powershell script to do this. maybe this will help others.

It first stops pangs, changes and removes the old portals while iterating over the registery for all users and then starts it again.

Run it with elevated privilages.

#check for input
if (!$args[0] )
{ Write-Host "Invalid argument. usage: change-portal.ps1 <new portal>"
exit }

#vars
$PortalAddress = $args[0]
$OldPortals = @('x.oldportal1.com', 'x2.oldportal1.com' )

#Get current portal
$pansetup = Get-ItemProperty -path "registry::HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Palo Alto Networks\GlobalProtect\PanSetup" -Name 'Portal'
$pansetup = $pansetup.Portal

Write-Host "Changing install portal address $pansetup to $PortalAddress"

#stop global protect
Stop-Service PanGPS
#set portal adres for new installations
Set-Itemproperty -path "registry::HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Palo Alto Networks\GlobalProtect\PanSetup" -Name 'Portal' -value $PortalAddress

# Regex pattern for SIDs
$PatternSID = 'S-1-5-21-\d+-\d+\-\d+\-\d+$'

# Get Username, SID, and location of ntuser.dat for all users
$ProfileList = gp 'HKLM:\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList\*' | Where-Object {$_.PSChildName -match $PatternSID} | 
    Select  @{name="SID";expression={$_.PSChildName}}, 
            @{name="UserHive";expression={"$($_.ProfileImagePath)\ntuser.dat"}}, 
            @{name="Username";expression={$_.ProfileImagePath -replace '^(.*[\\\/])', ''}}

# Get all user SIDs found in HKEY_USERS (ntuder.dat files that are loaded)
$LoadedHives = gci Registry::HKEY_USERS | ? {$_.PSChildname -match $PatternSID} | Select @{name="SID";expression={$_.PSChildName}}

# Get all users that are not currently logged
$UnloadedHives = Compare-Object $ProfileList.SID $LoadedHives.SID | Select @{name="SID";expression={$_.InputObject}}, UserHive, Username

# Loop through each profile on the machine
Foreach ($item in $ProfileList) {
    # Load User ntuser.dat if it's not already loaded
    IF ($item.SID -in $UnloadedHives.SID) {
        reg load HKU\$($Item.SID) $($Item.UserHive) | Out-Null
    }

#####################################################################
    # This is where you can read/modify a users portion of the registry 

"{0}" -f $($item.Username) | Write-Output
    Set-Itemproperty -path "registry::HKEY_USERS\$($Item.SID)\Software\Palo Alto Networks\GlobalProtect\Settings" -Name 'LastUrl' -value $PortalAddress
    Foreach ($Oldportal in $Oldportals) { 
        Remove-Item -path "registry::HKEY_USERS\$($Item.SID)\Software\Palo Alto Networks\GlobalProtect\Settings\$OldPortal" -Recurse   
    }
    #####################################################################

# Unload ntuser.dat        
    IF ($item.SID -in $UnloadedHives.SID) {
        ### Garbage collection and closing of ntuser.dat ###
        [gc]::Collect()
        reg unload HKU\$($Item.SID) | Out-Null
    }
}
#start global protectc
Start-Service PanGPS

I came here and created an account just say Thank you @NOC-VL !! This gave me a great starting point for my script. I am not sure why anyone else is not complaining about the fact that when you change the "pansetup" key it doesnt actually change anything for users that have already logged in via GP and created a profile (under their individual "HKEY_USERS" tree!

This is great work. Thank you for sharing it.

L0 Member

Nice work one of my customer asked me this very question today and I told him I will try and get answer for him and he found this here and sent me the link. Great work thanks for sharing😊

• 8 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!