Threat Log False Positives

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Threat Log False Positives

L0 Member

Hi,

In short - I'm looking to a way to identify false positives.

My organisation's anti virus profiles within our Palo NGFWs are detecting multiple generic threats of a 'medium' level and blocking them. I'm trying to determine whether any of these are false positives, and if they should remain blocked.

The threat names all follow the same format: Virus/Win32.WGeneric.######, with the last 6 digits varying for each threat. When I check the threat vault, there is no further information provided as to the nature of the threat, other than a list of hashes associated with it.

I've entered these hashes into VirusTotal.com and also AlienVault to see if any record of these as a malicious activity exists, but I've been unable to find any matches for the 30 or so hashes I've checked so far.

Does anyone know what these hashes actually are? Are they the hash of the file being transferred, or the type of threat itself? We've gone to the source device where the threat was generated and there is no record of the hash that the threat corresponds to in Palo's Threat Vault.

3 REPLIES 3

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

Hello,

The generic ones are the hardest to prove one way or another. If possible I would suggest you send them to wildfire for analysis and hope that PAN comes out with a signature. Or you can open a case and have then do the same thing that way.

Regards,

L7 Applicator

Hi @ShaneMcG 

When you query for an AV signature name or Signature ID in Threatvault, the sha256 hashes reported in Threatvault are the sha256 hashes of files for which this signature was generated.

e.g. If you search for the following:

Name: Virus/Win32.WGeneric.brwesg
Sig id: 438164772

Threatvault shows 318f37ae7d23f954c51f3aef2d06edaaec60e01639131f2efb801cbab7168fec as one of the sample SHA256 hashes for this signature. This sample 318f3.. was deemed to be malware in the WildFire sandbox and thus the signature shows the association as coverage for this sample.

However, if the file transfer that triggered a signature was not for one of the hashes listed or no other malware was found, as @OtakarKlier suggested, please report this via a case and a support expert can help with next steps.

L1 Bithead

Hello,

We have this problem too. I already excluded more than 50 of these WGeneric virusses :(. A few times we reported the false positive to TAC through our partner, but we have to follow article https://knowledgebase.paloaltonetworks.com/KCSArticleDetail?id=kA10g000000Cm3aCAC . It just takes too much time to collect the data, start a case, .... And this on top of the case I have with my end user. It would be a great relief if we could exclude this entire category of viruses (at least the new signatures in this category), because it triggers too much false positives.

Regards

• 3 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!