Aggregation of ethernet on PA-4050 with Cisco switch

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Aggregation of ethernet on PA-4050 with Cisco switch

L0 Member

Hi,

I am trying to get an aggregation link up between a Cisco and PA-4050 switch (v3.1.2). I have two link in the group and have configured L3 sub interfaces to seperate VLANs. I am able to send traffic across these links but they are clearly not functioning as aggregated interfaces as i loose packets when failing one of the two links (more like grouped ports and the remain gray on the display (picture attached)). The cisco side is not happy that there is a trunk either.

Can anyone send me the correct configuration for the PA and Cisco side for this to work. The nearest description I found refers to the PA no supporting LACP and requiring a ststic configuration - I am not clear on what that would look like. Thanks!

12 REPLIES 12

L4 Transporter

Hi Andrew,

I think your cisco config should look something like this:

port-channel load-balance dst-ip

interface Port-channel5

switchport access vlan 10

switchport mode access

interface GigabitEthernet0/1

switchport mode access

channel-group 5 mode passive

interface GigabitEthernet0/2

switchport mode access

channel-group 5 mode passive

12/21/2011 - I'm editing this post to attempt to reduce the confusion.  The above is incorrect and I have stricken it through. Below is correct as is confirmed by the other participants:

port-channel load-balance dst-ip

interface Port-channel5

switchport mode access

interface GigabitEthernet0/1

switchport mode access

channel-group 5 mode on

interface GigabitEthernet0/2

switchport mode access

channel-group 5 mode on

This will keep LACP from attempting to negotiate.

Cheers,

Kelly

Message was edited by: kbrazil

Not applicable

I have this working between PAN-4050 and Cisco Nexus 7000

Here is the Cisco config. Passive mode didn't work, had to use active. Also, in the GUI the ethernetlinks show green, the ae link shows gray as shown in attached pics.

interface Ethernet2/1
  switchport
  switchport mode trunk
  switchport trunk native vlan 600
  switchport trunk allowed vlan 6,600-602
  logging event port link-status
  logging event port trunk-status
  channel-group 1 mode active
  no shutdown

And the PAN config

network {
        interface {
          ethernet {
            ethernet1/1 {
              link-state auto;
              aggregate-group ae1;
              link-duplex full;
              link-speed 1000;
            }
            ethernet1/2 {
              link-state auto;
              aggregate-group ae1;
              link-duplex full;
              link-speed 1000;
            }
            ethernet1/3 {
              link-state auto;
              aggregate-group ae1;
              link-duplex full;
              link-speed 1000;
            }
            ethernet1/4 {
              link-state auto;
              aggregate-group ae1;
              link-duplex full;
              link-speed 1000;
            }

aggregate-ethernet {
            ae1 {
              layer3 {

interface-management-profile MGMT;
                ip {
                  x.x.x.x/x { }  <----replace with your IP
                }
              }
            }

Kelly,

Thanks for your response, I noticed your  comment on the article https://live.paloaltonetworks.com/docs/DOC-1098 that the PAN can now support proper link aggregation using Passive  configuration. I am pretty sure I tried this on the cisco but will do  again when I am back in the lab on Monday (I was seeing the same  symptoms as sreynolds reply to my post). Could I ask if you know whether  the ae port status stays grey or should turn green? If you look at my  original post you cans see the attachment show them as  grey.

The  problem I am seeing is that I loose alternate packets for about 10  pings (5 pass 5 fail) when a trunk port is brought up or down. If this  was a cisco to cisco setup I would losse one ping max. The ports on the PAN are L3. This may be how  it works I just want to make sure.

Thanks Again,
Andy..

I have to admit that I have limited experience on the PAN with AE interfaces, though I have done it a couple times.  I'm speaking from experience from other vendors since our implementation at PAN is nearly identical to how some other security devices implement link-agg.

We do link aggregation but we do not fully implement 802.3ad, which means we only support a static configuration with no LACP.  Other than LACP, which is a control protocol over link aggregation, link agg configuration is local and should be interoperable with most any implementation.  For instance, there is no particular requirement on how load balancing is performed on either end. (one side can do per-session, the other can do per-packet and it should still "work")

This is why I suggested using "passive" above so LACP would not try to negotiate and would force the agg group up.  It looks like doing the opposite has worked for someone else so now I'm confused. Smiley Happy I don't remember whether the interface will turn green - I suspect it should.  You might check with Support to get a definitive answer here.

Cheers,

Kelly

Hello,

I tried out what works with PANOS and Cisco IOS. So here is my description what you have to do when you want to create an aggregate Interface between a Cisco switch and a PA Device:

1. LACP doesnt work! Don't use it when you terminate on a PAN Device.
  2. On the Cisco switch- site you have to configure the "channel-group xx mode on" for a static Etherchannel.
  3. "channel-group xx mode active" enables LACP which sends periodically LACP BPDUs to the other site (PAN Device) AND waits for LACP BPDUs from the PAN Device.
  4. "channel-group xx mode passive" enables LACP without sending periodically  LACP BPDUs to the other site (PAN Device) BUT waits for LACP BPDUs from  the PAN Device.

With best regards

Ronald Jaeckel

Could anyone from PAN Support give a CORRECT answer to the question, please?

How I have to configure Cisco switch to proper handle PAN link aggregation in L3 mode (subinterface)?

Do I have to configure LACP? Do I have to set it in Active or Passive mode?

I can't try in lab!

Thanks in advance

You should not use active-mode neither passive-mode.

LACP is not supported at all by PAN, and even if it would be supported, it would not be of any help for L3 ports.

Below two examples of what we use.

On a pair of Nexus , 2 x 10Gb VPC channel to a PA-5050

interface port-channel11

switchport mode trunk

vpc 11

switchport trunk native vlan xx

switchport trunk allowed vlan yy-zz

spanning-tree port type edge trunk

interface Ethernet1/11

switchport mode trunk

switchport trunk native vlan xx

channel-group 11

ON Catalyst 6xxx , 4 x 1GB channel to PA-5020

interface Port-channel21

switchport

switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q

switchport mode trunk

logging event link-status

logging event trunk-status

logging event bundle-status

logging event subif-link-status

spanning-tree portfast edge trunkend

interface GigabitEthernet8/30

switchport

switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q

switchport mode trunk

logging event bundle-status

speed 1000

duplex full

channel-group 21 mode on

end

Thanks Bart.

So, I need to use "classic" Etherchannel configuration on switch side? No dinamic configuration (LACP like)?

Many many thanks! Smiley Happy

Yes indeed, the classic configuration works fine with PAN :

"port-channel mode on"

L3 Networker

Hey guys I am having an issue with a 2 x 10Gb (vPC) port-channel between two Nexus 5548s and a PAN 5050. I can get the port channel to come up on both switches, however I get around 25% packet loss when pinging over it. I have changed the port channel load balancing to src-dst-ip and have tried a couple different configurations on the cisco side with no resolve. As soon as I shut one side of the vPC down it cleans up.

PAN: 5.1.5

Nexus: 6.0.2

Both sides of the vPC are configured the same and show up.

description PAN5050

switchport mode trunk

switchport trunk allowed vlan 128,135,159

channel-group 201

description PAN5050

switchport mode trunk

switchport trunk allowed vlan 128,135,159

vpc 201

SW-1: 201   Po201(SU)   Eth      NONE      Eth1/1(P)

SW-2  201   Po201(SU)   Eth      NONE      Eth1/1(P)

Why hasn't anyone from Palo Alto replied to this?

Thank you for configuration suggestion, can you please tell me why we need to Load Balance Port-channel with only "dst-ip" instead of "src-dst-ip" ?

• 12 replies
  • 1 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!