Announcements

API command to send to f/w to upgrade IOS

L4 Transporter

Hi  is there  a API command to send to f/w to upgrade IOS

1 accepted solution

Accepted Solutions

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

There is not one command to update the OS on the firewall. You would need to issue a download request and monitor the job id, then an install request and monitor that job it until completed, and then issue a restart.

Download

type=op&cmd=<request><system><software><download><version>7.0.13</version></download></software></system></request>

Install

type=op&cmd=<request><system><software><install><version>7.0.13</version></download></software></system></request>

Monitor Job ID

type=op&cmd=<show><jobs><id>$jobid</id></jobs></show>

Request Restart

type=op&cmd=<request><restart><system></system></restart></request>

Keep in mind that this is from a script that I didn't clear out some of the variables that I use; you would want to capture the output of all of those commands expect the restart so that you can actually monitor the process. Generally I will split this up a little bit during the day before I actually update any of our firewalls; having the PA first download the software, then installing near the end of day, and finally rebooting to finish installing during the normal maintenance windows. Unless you are upgrading more than a handful of units at the same time it's probably safer/easier to take care of it with the CLI/GUI

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

There is not one command to update the OS on the firewall. You would need to issue a download request and monitor the job id, then an install request and monitor that job it until completed, and then issue a restart.

Download

type=op&cmd=<request><system><software><download><version>7.0.13</version></download></software></system></request>

Install

type=op&cmd=<request><system><software><install><version>7.0.13</version></download></software></system></request>

Monitor Job ID

type=op&cmd=<show><jobs><id>$jobid</id></jobs></show>

Request Restart

type=op&cmd=<request><restart><system></system></restart></request>

Keep in mind that this is from a script that I didn't clear out some of the variables that I use; you would want to capture the output of all of those commands expect the restart so that you can actually monitor the process. Generally I will split this up a little bit during the day before I actually update any of our firewalls; having the PA first download the software, then installing near the end of day, and finally rebooting to finish installing during the normal maintenance windows. Unless you are upgrading more than a handful of units at the same time it's probably safer/easier to take care of it with the CLI/GUI

• 1 accepted solution
  • 1 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!