CLI: create admin role

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

CLI: create admin role

L0 Member

Hi,

I'm struggling a bit to find an efficient way to create an admin role using the cli.

Let's say I want to create an admin role and grant it all rights that can be found in the "Web UI" tab when using the web interface.

Is there a command that basically does this?

set shared admin-role webadmin role device webui ALL

Right now the only way that I can see is a huge list of commands:

set shared admin-role webadmin role device webui acc
set shared admin-role webadmin role device webui dashboard
set shared admin-role webadmin role device webui monitor
set shared admin-role webadmin role device webui monitor logs
set shared admin-role webadmin role device webui monitor logs traffic enable
(repeat last line for all the items under logs)
(and for each and every other item in webui, it just keeps going...)

Maybe I'm overlooking something?

4 REPLIES 4

Community Team Member

Hi @mlanterm ,

Just creating an admin-role is cli is easy:

admin@PA-VM# set shared admin-role adminxdr role device webui

However, when you create your admin-role like this, all the roles will be disabled by default as opposed to when you create the admin-role through the GUI.  If you create an admin-role through the GUI, all the roles are enabled by default (which is kinda inconsistent ... maybe check with support if this is considered a bug or a feature request 😉).

Below is en example of a CLI created admin-role ... all the roles are disabled by default.

kiwi_0-1637848335108.png

You could create a script and copy/paste the bulk of lines by enabling scripting mode

username@hostname> set cli scripting-mode on

Hope this helps,

-Kiwi

LIVEcommunity team member, CISSP
Cheers,
Kiwi
Please help out other users and “Accept as Solution” if a post helps solve your problem !

Read more about how and why to accept solutions.

L3 Networker

You can try the below link to get the best practice configuration from GitHub for both FW and Panorama.

https://github.com/PaloAltoNetworks/iron-skillet/tree/panos_v10.0/loadable_configs/sample-set-comman...

Best Regards,
Suresh

L0 Member

Did you find a way other than scripting 80+ lines to enable all?

No, I'm afraid not. We sort-of worked around it by using Radius with domain accounts, and gave up on separate types of admins. So we have the local admin account as a break-glass emergency account, and for daily use it's domain accounts where Radius sends the "superuser" attribute along. In this setup there's no need to define custom admin roles.

Which is okay in our small team, where "yay everyone is a superuser" is "fine"...

But I still feel it's very counter-intuitive to script an admin role without wildcards and have it work the opposite way as the GUI.

• 4 replies
  • 1 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!