Customer Support Account Without Device

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Customer Support Account Without Device

L0 Member

Hello,

We would like to transfer management of a customer's device from our support account, to theirs. However, they do not currently have a customer support account. All the documentation I have read online indicates that you must register a device in order to create a customer support account. As we currently manage the device, there is no device for them to register.

How can we accomplish this transfer?

1 accepted solution

Accepted Solutions

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

@bcolesberry,

Unfortunately it sounds like you may work for an MSP sort of company (IE: You manage someone else's equipment, but don't actually own it)? If that's the case, the device should have really been registered to the customer in question, and they should have had their own account created at the time of purchase. Your company would then have an account under that company's support account, or otherwise have access to the account. That of course, does you absolutely no good now.

If I'm correct in my understanding and the customer actually owns the device in question, this gets a lot more difficult to get cleaned up. Assuming you aren't transferring ownership, you really need to reach out to your own account manager and explain what happened. They'll need to have an account created on the backend so that you can actually transfer the device to the customer. Keeping in mind that this looks to PAN like you have someone trying to bypass the secondary market policies, and even when you transfer management over to the customer you'll run into renewal issues if the customer migrates away from your service. 

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Community Team Member

Hi @bcolesberry ,

Do you work for a VAR? 
LIVEcommunity team member
Stay Secure,
Jay
Don't forget to Like items if a post is helpful to you!

Please help out other users and “Accept as Solution” if a post helps solve your problem !

Read more about how and why to accept solutions.

Community Team Member

@bcolesberry please see below:

"Upon receipt of a purchased device on the secondary market, you must place two orders through a Palo Alto Networks authorized local reseller. The first order must be for a non-refundable certification fee and the second for a one time activation fee and the purchase of a one year support subscription (you may purchase a longer support subscription if desired but the purchase it at minimum a one year subscription). The purchase of other subscriptions or services are optional."

It looks like the one time activation fee may allow your customer to create a support account. I found this information from our Secondary Market Policy

NGFW 

LIVEcommunity team member
Stay Secure,
Jay
Don't forget to Like items if a post is helpful to you!

Please help out other users and “Accept as Solution” if a post helps solve your problem !

Read more about how and why to accept solutions.

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

@bcolesberry,

Unfortunately it sounds like you may work for an MSP sort of company (IE: You manage someone else's equipment, but don't actually own it)? If that's the case, the device should have really been registered to the customer in question, and they should have had their own account created at the time of purchase. Your company would then have an account under that company's support account, or otherwise have access to the account. That of course, does you absolutely no good now.

If I'm correct in my understanding and the customer actually owns the device in question, this gets a lot more difficult to get cleaned up. Assuming you aren't transferring ownership, you really need to reach out to your own account manager and explain what happened. They'll need to have an account created on the backend so that you can actually transfer the device to the customer. Keeping in mind that this looks to PAN like you have someone trying to bypass the secondary market policies, and even when you transfer management over to the customer you'll run into renewal issues if the customer migrates away from your service. 

@BPryYes, I work for an MSP of sort. The devices in question are AWS Marketplace devices that the customer does own and pay for directly from their AWS account.

In the original setup, we were managing the devices almost exclusively, and by extension their support cases. The customer would now like to do more work within the devices, and manage their own support cases (while leaving us the ability to manage the devices, and potential future support cases). The solution you mentioned, having the devices registered with the customer's support account and then adding our own users to that account, was the solution I thought of. It is unfortunate that the original architecture did not have this in place.

Given this information, do you have any suggestions for how to accomplish this? You original answer mentioned creating an account on 'the backend' to transfer ownership. I imagine you mean we would create a user (for the customer) within our own support account. Transfer the assets over to the new user. Then remove the user from our own support account, and presumably their user would then be tied to a new support account?

• 1 accepted solution
  • 4 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!