Error reading last checkpoint

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Error reading last checkpoint

L1 Bithead

Hi everyone,

I am facing an issue that floods my output SIEM a little to often. The issue seems to be that the miner node is unable to register where it left of during the last check. Any tips on solving this?

2016-11-14T08:54:30 (17269)base.read_checkpoint ERROR: sslabusech_dyreblacklist - Error reading last checkpoint
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/opt/minemeld/engine/0.9.26/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/minemeld/ft/base.py", line 245, in read_checkpoint
    with open(self.name+'.chkp', 'r') as f:
IOError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: 'sslabusech_dyreblacklist.chkp'
2016-11-14T08:54:30 (17269)base.state INFO: sslabusech_dyreblacklist - transitioning to state 1
2016-11-14T08:54:30 (17270)base.read_checkpoint ERROR: sslabusech_ipblacklist - Error reading last checkpoint
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/opt/minemeld/engine/0.9.26/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/minemeld/ft/base.py", line 245, in read_checkpoint
    with open(self.name+'.chkp', 'r') as f:
IOError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: 'sslabusech_ipblacklist.chkp'
2016-11-14T08:54:30 (17270)base.state INFO: sslabusech_ipblacklist - transitioning to state 1
2016-11-14T08:54:30 (17270)base.read_checkpoint ERROR: openbl_base - Error reading last checkpoint

Regards,

Forseti

5 REPLIES 5

L7 Applicator

Hi @Forseti,

that ERROR happens only when the engine starts if the checkpoint does not exist. It could happen for 2 reasons:

- the node is new and there is no previous checkpoint to load

- the engine didn't have a "clean" shut down

- could you check before those ERROR messages if you see additional ERRORs ?

- check also the OS syslog and dmesg to see if there was a problem with memory or disk exhaustion

Thanks,

luigi

Hi Imori, The machine gets rebooted at night because as it seems that the minemeld process isn't stable. (I wasn't able to logon via the web gui after a couple of hours) I can't seem to stop it properly. Neither using 'sudo service mineld stop' nor via supervisord. I've already removed and reinstalled MineMeld completely but the issue seems to persist. However, that seems to be the root of this issue. And ofcourse, now that I try to mimick the behavior, it all goes well.. Will check back when a get a sample! Regards, Jan

I'd like to fix the instability issue first, I think it's related to memory exhaustion.

Would you mind unicast me the logs from /opt/minemeld/log ? My email is lmori@paloaltonetworks.com.

Also please note that when MineMeld start without a checkpoint it starts crunching all the indicators, and it could take a while. Are your running 0.9.24 or 0.9.26 ? Before 0.9.26 the GUI wasn't responsive under load, the only thing you could do was waiting for the CPU load to lower.

Thanks,

luigi

Luigi, thank you for your help.

For future reference: issue was caused by rabbitmq starting after minemeld had already started.

An additional check for this will be added in the next release.

• 5 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!