how can I get entire session table?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

how can I get entire session table?

L4 Transporter

Working on the 5060 in 5.0.7, the active session count is around 60k+, in cli 'show session all' output will only return ~3000 sessions.   API returns 9995 lines.  How can I get the entire session table?

The use case,  I will like to be able to take a snapshot of the firewall session table at a given specific moment; find out which vsys has the most active sessions, group by top 10 source / destination ip address / destination port per vsys.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Ernest

8 REPLIES 8

L6 Presenter

Can the Whole Session Log be Exported?

I think taking this report for the sessions after logged (from traffic logs )will give you parallel information.

Here are the problem that I can see using the traffic logs,

traffic log is only generated when the session is closed/ended, unless you change policy setting to log at session start.  But it is not recommended, and you can't change all the policy at the same time...

How can I do it?

Ernest

Hi,

start session is used especially for debugging.you can cofigure this for all policy at one time if you don't have any configured.

Just edit your config with a tool(even word can do)

change

<log-start>no</log-start>
<log-end>yes</log-end>

to

<log-start>yes</log-start>
<log-end>yes</log-end>

Then after you examine what you need for a day or 1 week, you will rollback to old config.

Hello,

I am looking from an operational perspective, if the firewall session table count is higher than normal, how do you find out which vsys/protocol/source ip/destination ip/destination ports is causing the high session counts? 

E

I believe that ACC would help in this effort. Has that provided more information?

You could always use the "count yes" syntax of the CLI command show session all

By adding progressively more specific filters, you can narrow down the sessions you are looking for. For example:

> show session all filter count yes

> show session all filter count yes from trust

> show session all filter count yes from trust application web-browsing

> show session all filter count yes from trust application web-browsing source 192.0.2.5

... and so on. By getting the count for each filter, you can find what may be odd in favor of what you are looking for. With the filter, you may not be able to display more than 3000 entries or whatever is present, but the count should help narrow down what is causing the imbalance.

Hope this helps,

Greg Wesson

Hello Greg,

Right,  I can use show session meter to determine which vsys has the high session counts and start drill down from that point.  But some vsys has 15k+ sessions.  By drilling down via cli to determine the cause of the high session count, that could take few minutes if lucky, else you may not able to find the problem. 

E

Again, ACC only get the data after the sessions closed and needed to wait 15 mins for ACC to update the information.  I don't think I have 15 mins to wait for an answer.

• 8 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!