LDAP Server Update DHCP from GlobalProtect

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

LDAP Server Update DHCP from GlobalProtect

L3 Networker

Hi all,

As you may know:  When a client is connected on GlobalProtect, they are assigned a dynamic IPv4 Address, not static.  

In my situation, I have about 100 GlobalProtect clients.  When the client connects for the first time, they are required to join my domain (i.e. www.contoso.com).  My Domain Controller is behind my PA firewall.  The Domain Controller is also my LDAP server that is used for authenticating the GlobalProtect clients.

The purpose for connnecting to the domain controller is so we can remotely administer the devices connected on GlobalProtect using their fully qualified domain name (i.e. computer1.contoso.com) instead of having to look up their dynamic address from the firewall. 

Problem:  Since the devices are assigned dynamic addresses, the IPv4 addresses are changing all the time.  Therefore, the DNS server (Domain Controller/LDAP server) has associated the correct domain name with an incorrect IPv4 address.  

I am assuming there is a way to update the records on hte domain controller to pull the correct dynamic addresses from the clients, just do not know if anyone has tried it.

Thanks.

1 accepted solution

Accepted Solutions

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

Hi,

with v7 you can have GP to assign static ip's.

https://www.paloaltonetworks.com/documentation/70/pan-os/newfeaturesguide/globalprotect-features/sta...

Do you mean that after users connect to GP they have to join workstation computers to domain?

Domain joined computers should update their DNS records correctly themselves so it should not be an issue after workstation is domain joined already.

DNS server can be configured to trust DNS record updates from non domain joined computers aswell but if you configure this then anyone can spoof your dns records and not good idea 🙂

Enterprise Architect, Security @ Cloud Carib Ltd
Palo Alto Networks certified from 2011

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

Hi,

with v7 you can have GP to assign static ip's.

https://www.paloaltonetworks.com/documentation/70/pan-os/newfeaturesguide/globalprotect-features/sta...

Do you mean that after users connect to GP they have to join workstation computers to domain?

Domain joined computers should update their DNS records correctly themselves so it should not be an issue after workstation is domain joined already.

DNS server can be configured to trust DNS record updates from non domain joined computers aswell but if you configure this then anyone can spoof your dns records and not good idea 🙂

Enterprise Architect, Security @ Cloud Carib Ltd
Palo Alto Networks certified from 2011
  • 1 accepted solution
  • 1 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!