PA-220 disk space issues

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

PA-220 disk space issues

L0 Member

As most with a PA-220 have experienced, regardless version running (currently latest 10.2.3-h2) root partition fills up all the time and have to run the disk-usage cleanup commands manually and tried enabling aggressive-cleaning as well, it just continuously hits level/ But it just fills up all the effin time:-)

With the root disk issues seemingly persistent (since at least the high 9 versions) and with the PA-220 only containing a measly 32GB, apart from the disk issues we are perfectly happy with the PA-220 and have a handful across our network, so does anyone know if there is a storage upgrade option? just want to be able to have a bigger eMMC storage in it if possible, either by buying and installing or any Palo support routes that would enable a swap of storage?

Any ideas?

Thanks.

31 REPLIES 31

Community Team Member

Hi @skmurawski ,

I'm afraid there are no upgrade options.

I know devteam is actively working to improve this.

Looks like you're already doing aggressive-cleaning.  I addition you can also set cleanup threshold to 90:

1. Enable aggressive cleaning
>debug software disk-usage aggressive-cleaning enable

2. Set the cleanup threshold to 90
>debug software disk-usage cleanup threshold 90

How to run cleanup script if root disk-space exceed 90%

High Disk Space Usage on / root partition and How To Clear

Cheers,

-Kiwi.

LIVEcommunity team member, CISSP
Cheers,
Kiwi
Please help out other users and “Accept as Solution” if a post helps solve your problem !

Read more about how and why to accept solutions.

Hi Kiwi.

Yes thanks, but I've already read those links and others several times as I'm sure everyone else has who is frustrated at the root space issue, as I said in the post we have aggressive cleaning enabled and it hits the 95% threshold several times a day, as I also said above we have ran the disk-usage cleanup command several times with threshold of 90 but it can never make more than 93% free.

Also the disk cleanup command isn't an automatic thing it needs to be ran manually each time, so isn't something that can be "set" and won't auto do anything.

So not much point logging in many times to run manually when the aggressive kicks in automatically at 95% 

Coming with such a small eMMC is so disappointing, I read somewhere about others logging support issues and being able to get device swapped out with one with bigger 64GB, so information on if this is an option would be great, as otherwise may have to look at getting slightly bigger model and migrating configs across but that would be a pain in the ***.

Thanks anyway.

@skmurawski 

Did you ever find a solution for this or did you just buy something bigger?

hi

yes, just got info from tac, it has to be fixed in this versions: 10.2.6, 10.2.5, 10.1.11, 10.1.10-h1.

tac told me it was fixed by 10.2.3

L1 Bithead

We had this issue on several PA220, after following the KB , you have to reboot the device to cleanup the space.

After >debug software disk-usage aggressive-cleaning enable , you reboot and then you've 90-91% usage of the disk.

The upgrade to 10.2.4-h4 or 10.2.5

hi

i can confirm , that the issue is fixed with version 10.2.5

regards

Yordan

Can anyone confirm this is fixed in 10.1.11 or 10.1.10-h1?  Don't want to go to 10.2 yet....

L1 Bithead

I have disabled telemetry on this system as well and the sending of the files was consistently failing. Wonder if this will impact it at all.

L1 Bithead

Preferred release is 10.1.10-h2 for the 10.1 version. For 10.2 the fixed release is 10.2.5 , I have it on several PA .

Note: On PA-220, installation of PAN-OS 10.2.5 image fails when upgrading from a 10.1 release.
Workaround: Upgrade the firewall from 10.1 to 10.2.4 before upgrading to 10.2.5. (reference PAN-229865 in 10.2.5 known issues)

Mine made is 17 days on 10.2.5 and then today boom 98% full. I would say this is not fixed. So annoying.

L0 Member

Can anyone confirm if this is still an issue or has been fixed for good?

I still stand by my comment from 10-06-2023 06:28 AM

Keep getting alerts that it is 98% full and it cleans it etc. So far haven't had one fill up again totally like pre 10.2.5

Prior to 10.2 I never had these messages

L1 Bithead

Despite a root disk clearing by TAC and the supposed resolution in version 10.2.6, we are still encountering the same.

what would be the best resolution to this.

Daryl_Cruz_0-1705646069901.png

• 31 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!