Did you mean: 
Announcements

Standard Ports on Applications

L2 Linker

I was wondering if anyone knew away to add a secondary default
port on an application. For example people in my company access web-browsing on
port 80 normally but there are a number of site that people have to use that
are based on port 8080. Is there a way to add more default ports so I do not
have to create more firewall rules than necessary?  Thanks for your time.

3 REPLIES 3

L6 Presenter

"default-application" is hardcoded in the application-db.

You can however setup your own service-group which contains both TCP80 and TCP8080.

A problem with that might be if you in the same rule allow (or deny) more than one application.

For example:

appid: smtp, ssh

service: application-default

would mean that smtp would only be allowed on its default-port(s) (TCP25) while ssh would be allowed on its default-port(s) (TCP22).

Compared to if you have:

appid: smtp, ssh

service: test-service (containing TCP25, TCP22)

which would allow SMTP on both TCP25 and TCP22 and SSH on both TCP25 and TCP22.

A workaround for the above is of course to have one rule for smtp and another one for ssh and if you are not happy with application-default manually specify which port(s) should be allowed for each rule.

I think a workaround in your case might be if you create a custom-appid (name it custom-web-browsing or so) which is (in your case) based on "web-browsing" but where you for application-default type both TCP80 and TCP8080.

However im not sure if this custom-app will be detected before or after the built-in appid.

Thank you. I will implement something along this line whena get a window to test it.

Do you know if I can copy or reference a predefined appid into a new custom-named one with other default ports? Or do I have to build all custom appids completely from scratch?

• 3 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!