How to disable GlobalProtect autostartup?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

How to disable GlobalProtect autostartup?

L0 Member

Hi everyone,

Recently my company gave me access to their VPN so I could get to the database while I am working from home (on my very own computer since the company did not provide one). I installed it and everything is working fine, except a there has been a lot of shady behaviour by this application:

• The application does not contain a setting to disable it from autostarting. I deleted the shorctut entries in Start C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup & C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup, made sure that no entry was left in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run and checked that the PanGPS service was set to manual, yet this application keeps popping up at system start
  • The application cannot be closed without killing it from the task manager. Did you take a page from the skype book or something?
  • The application sends a lot of stuff about the device that is running it and there is no way to stop it

All of this comes off as stupidly invasive to the end user, I just need a connection to a VPN, isn't there a simpler way to do this?

6 REPLIES 6

L7 Applicator

One option if you do not want to use GlobalProtect client to connect to VPN/IPSec gateway is to use Clientless VPN

here is some more info on that.

https://docs.paloaltonetworks.com/globalprotect/9-0/globalprotect-admin/globalprotect-clientless-vpn

or

https://knowledgebase.paloaltonetworks.com/KCSArticleDetail?id=kA14u000000HAt7CAG

LIVEcommunity team member
Stay Secure,
Joe
Don't forget to Like items if a post is helpful to you!

The original question was not answered. Is there a way to disable the automatic start up. I would like to know this as well, so I can delete the program. As a novice computer user who had this program installed by my ex- office to work from home ( I am now retired) I would like to delete the Global Protect program as I now longer need it. I am removing a number of redundant files and program to allow my machine to perform better.

L0 Member

Did you find anything about disable the automatic startup?

Community Team Member

Hi @Daniel ,

Are you able to disable it in TaskManager Startup ?

kiwi_0-1687348188492.png

Cheers,

-Kim.

LIVEcommunity team member, CISSP
Cheers,
Kiwi
Please help out other users and “Accept as Solution” if a post helps solve your problem !

Read more about how and why to accept solutions.

L0 Member

Hi,

We deleted the autostart registry key for GlobalProtect under HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

to prevent "C:\Program Files\Palo Alto Networks\GlobalProtect\PanGPA.exe" from being started.

The problem we have now is that during upgrade from central deployment tool to our clients the MSI-package autostart the GlobalProtect client instantly after install/upgrade. Then when gpo is applied again the registry key is removed. But all users that is using there computers during deployment is promptet with the GlobalProtect login. Is there any MSI parameters/properties that can prevent autostart after install?

L0 Member

I can't stand software that thinks it has a right to autostart, regardless of what you do.  So, I changed the *.exe file to *(expletive).exe and created a shortcut to it.  No more autostart. 😄

• 6 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!