Automation of partial config load from xml

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Automation of partial config load from xml

L0 Member

Hello,

TL;DR : I use PA-VM 10.0.4 and paloaltonetworks.panos 2.12.2 galaxy ansible modules. Do you know a way to automate a partial config load from xml ? Ideally using ansible but maybe using API or python ? I tried several things with ansible, none of them are working.

Ultimately I'd like to automate the use of this command, which is OK with CLI :

load config partial from-xpath /config/devices/entry[@name="localhost.localdomain"]/vsys/entry[@name="vsys1"] to-xpath /config/devices/entry[@name="localhost.localdomain"]/vsys/entry[@name="vsys1"] mode replace from capirca.xml

Let's consider this command first, which is also OK with CLI :

load config partial mode replace from capirca.xml

I tried to automate using ansible. The Ansible panos_loadcfg module does not allow partial config load.

So I tried this task using ansible :

- name: load configuration
      paloaltonetworks.panos.panos_op:
        provider: "{{ palo_provider }}"
        cmd: 'load config partial mode replace from capirca.xml'
        cmd_is_xml: false

I get this Error even though the command is OK using CLI : load config partial mode replace from \"capirca.xml\" : load -> config -> partial -> mode is invalid

The full traceback is:
  File "/tmp/ansible_paloaltonetworks.panos.panos_op_payload_toh3va6v/ansible_paloaltonetworks.panos.panos_op_payload.zip/ansible_collections/paloaltonetworks/panos/plugins/modules/panos_op.py", line 186, in main
  File "/home/r0m/.local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/panos/firewall.py", line 242, in op
    return super(Firewall, self).op(
  File "/home/r0m/.local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/panos/base.py", line 4047, in op
    element = self.xapi.op(cmd, vsys, False, extra_qs, retry_on_peer=retry_on_peer)
  File "/home/r0m/.local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/panos/base.py", line 3899, in method
    raise the_exception
fatal: [fw-test]: FAILED! => {
    "changed": false,
    "invocation": {
        "module_args": {
            "api_key": null,
            "cmd": "load config partial mode replace from capirca.xml",
            "cmd_is_xml": false,
            "ignore_disconnect": null,
            "ip_address": null,
            "password": null,
            "port": 443,
            "provider": {
                "api_key": null,
                "ip_address": "fw-test.local.r0.me",
                "password": "VALUE_SPECIFIED_IN_NO_LOG_PARAMETER",
                "port": 443,
                "serial_number": null,
                "username": "admin"
            },
            "username": "admin",
            "vsys": "vsys1"
        }
    },
    "msg": "Failed to run command : load config partial mode replace from \"capirca.xml\" :  load -> config -> partial -> mode is invalid"

It's worth noting that this command is working. Unfortunately, I really need a partial load.

cmd: 'load config from capirca.xml'
        cmd_is_xml: false

Will anyone be able to help me with partial config load automation ?

Regards !

Romain

1 REPLY 1

L0 Member

I found the solution :

cmd: '<load><config><partial><from-xpath>/config/devices/entry[@name=&quot;localhost.localdomain&quot;]/vsys/entry[@name=&quot;vsys1&quot;]</from-xpath><to-xpath>/config/devices/entry[@name=&quot;localhost.localdomain&quot;]/vsys/entry[@name=&quot;vsys1&quot;]</to-xpath><mode>replace</mode><from>capirca.xml</from></partial></config></load>'
        cmd_is_xml: true

I was able to get the xml version of the command using

debug cli on

• 1 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!