Detect and Restrict Powershell cmdlets

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Detect and Restrict Powershell cmdlets

L1 Bithead

Hello everyone,

I would like to know if any of you have struggled with support and technical cases with the need I show below.

I would like to know what you can tell me or give me your opinion about taking action against powershell cmdlets.

After several cases and meetings with support, I can't get a solid answer to my needs about restricting some powershell cmdlets.

I hope to find a solution that fits my needs, thanks anyway.

1 accepted solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi @agirones, I believe that this could work for you.

• Create a new custom BIOC rule going to Detection Rules - BIOC
  • Select the Event Log type. The powershell cmdlets details are taken from the windows event log.
  • Set a name, and put all the required commands in the "Message" field in this format:

*Set-ItemProperty -Path*|*Remove-ItemProperty -Path*|*Invoke-AADintReconAsOutsider*|*Remove-DomainObjectACL*

Use the "|" character as an OR separator, and the "*" as wildcard.

jmazzeo_0-1713968206618.png

• Before save it you can test it to check if you have some matching events. 
  • You will see the  command details by opening the "View event log message" from the results.
    jmazzeo_1-1713968439612.png
  • This is how you will see the details:
    jmazzeo_2-1713968503140.png
  • Alerts generated:
    jmazzeo_3-1713968799553.png

This works for cmdlets running in a live powershell console in the host, and it will also detect this commands running from scripts.

The "Event log" type BIOC Rules can't be used to block, only for notifications.

If this post answers your question, please mark it as the solution.

JM

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

L4 Transporter

Hi @agirones, thanks for reaching us using the Live Community.

Can you share more information about what cmdlets you are trying to detect or block? Do you have some example?

Maybe I can do some test in my lab and try to help you.

JM

Hi @jmazzeo, thaks for your interest and trying to help!

Example, I want to restrict cmdlet like:

Set-ItemProperty -Path
Remove-ItemProperty -Path
Invoke-AADintReconAsOutsider
Remove-DomainObjectACL

Hi @agirones, I believe that this could work for you.

• Create a new custom BIOC rule going to Detection Rules - BIOC
  • Select the Event Log type. The powershell cmdlets details are taken from the windows event log.
  • Set a name, and put all the required commands in the "Message" field in this format:

*Set-ItemProperty -Path*|*Remove-ItemProperty -Path*|*Invoke-AADintReconAsOutsider*|*Remove-DomainObjectACL*

Use the "|" character as an OR separator, and the "*" as wildcard.

jmazzeo_0-1713968206618.png

• Before save it you can test it to check if you have some matching events. 
  • You will see the  command details by opening the "View event log message" from the results.
    jmazzeo_1-1713968439612.png
  • This is how you will see the details:
    jmazzeo_2-1713968503140.png
  • Alerts generated:
    jmazzeo_3-1713968799553.png

This works for cmdlets running in a live powershell console in the host, and it will also detect this commands running from scripts.

The "Event log" type BIOC Rules can't be used to block, only for notifications.

If this post answers your question, please mark it as the solution.

JM

Hey @jmazzeo

Thanks, I know this detection functionality, together with an automation with "terminate casuality chain" that kills the powershell process can be a "solution".

This feature requires XTH - Xtended Threat Hunting license (which I don't have).

The only drawback I see to this solution is that it is an asynchronous solution (it works after executing the command, in this case the cmdlet).

• 1 accepted solution
  • 4 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!