About SHA1 when admin access Web-UI

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

About SHA1 when admin access Web-UI

L4 Transporter

Hello,

I knew SHA1 is going to be expired on all internet browser in 2016. 

All FWs of Paloalto are using SHA1 when access Web-UI.

I think if PA keep using it on, administrator could not access Web-UI by browser bloking.

So It has to change from SHA1 to SHA256.

I just want to know plan when chainging it.

Please someone let me know it.

If you do not have a plan for it.

Do I have to make self-generated certificate with SHA256 and then enable "certificate for Secure Web GUI"?

Is there another way?

Thanks,

KC Lee

2 REPLIES 2

L4 Transporter

Hi KC, 

The deprecation of SHA-1 is completely browser dependent, though most of the major browsers (like firefox,chrome) are

contemplating to completely block the pages secured through SHA1. Please look for official announcements from the organizations who develop these browsers to keep a track of the timeline.

Following is a good read :

https://googleonlinesecurity.blogspot.sg/

As for PA ,WebGUI access or SSL decryption (forward-proxy) certificate, you can create a new certificate using a more secure hashing algorithm like SHA-256 which is acceptable for the browser hence would not block or through error.

Hope this helps !

Hi syadav,

Thanks for your comment.

I have read a google blog page what you suggest.

This blog mentioned the following,

Step 2: Blocking all SHA-1 certificates
Starting January 1, 2017 at the latest, Chrome will completely stop supporting SHA-1 certificates. At this point, sites that have a SHA-1-based signature as part of the certificate chain (not including the self-signature on the root certificate) will trigger a fatal network error. This includes certificate chains that end in a local trust anchor as well as those that end at a public CA.

The Issuer is localhost for certificate when accessing Web-UI.

Chorme could not block SHA-1 certificate that issuer is localhost(self-generated) when accessing Web-UI after 2017. RIGHT?

Do I understand correct it?

Thanks

• 2 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!