ADFS SAML Configuration

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

ADFS SAML Configuration

L1 Bithead

Hi all

I need help to configure ADFS SAML with global-protect.

i have successfully imported the metadata.xml from adfs into palo.

But now i can't export the metadata from paloalto. 

Screen Shot 2017-02-25 at 03.50.54.png

Whats the correct identifiers and endpoints urls for global-contect clientless? I have no idea, what i must configure in adfs. 

Can anyone help?

I use panos 8.0

regards

Benjamin

15 REPLIES 15

L1 Bithead

I solved the issue with the cli and now i have a connection from adfs to palo. But i can't login with adfs to palo alto. Has anyone experience with adfs -> saml palo alto?
i don't know what username attribute i must use for saml.

I created this rule in the adfs:

Screen Shot 2017-02-28 at 15.18.17.pngScreen Shot 2017-02-28 at 15.19.42.png

Palo Alto Saml Profile:

Screen Shot 2017-02-28 at 15.20.13.png

Could anyone help me?

Regards

Benjamin

Hello,

While I have not set this up before, I am familiure with ldap. For the User attriobute, have you tried sAMAccountName?

Regards,

Yes, i tested with sAMAccountName but it doesn't work. Login failed.

Screen Shot 2017-03-01 at 09.17.11.png

If you havent already, I would recommend opening a support ticket.

Yes, i think i must open a ticket for this case. Thanks for your help.

Looking at the transforms in ADFS that are populating your SAML Response, you probably want to use NameID as the username attribute in your configuration on the PAN-OS side. 

L0 Member

Hi Benjamin,

Did you ever get this sorted out.   What was the trick?

Regards, Malcolm

Hi Malcolm

No, it doesn't work. 

I will spend more time in this task in 2-3 weeks.

It's not a high prio task for us. 

regards, Benjamin

L2 Linker

Hi @benjaminsutter

i would please like to know whether you were able to solve this problem

as am now facing the same Issue with SAML and AD FS (Login Retry)

I think the piece that is actually missing are Username Attribute and User group Attribute.

What parameters did you use for Username Attribute and User group Attribute?

I will deeply appreciate any hints on this matter.

kind regards,

Gilo

I just recently was able to get GP to authenticate to ADFS using SAML with the help of support.  Here are some hints that worked for me.

1. GP 4.0.3 has a bug, so I needed to use either GP 4.0.2 or GP 4.0.4

2. ADFS is configured with a Custom Claim Rule, a Transform rule to map SessionID to NameID (using transient identifier) and another Transform rule to map Windows Account Name to username

3. username is used for Username Attribute in the SAML auth profile

Let me know if that helps you.

Ian

Hi,

can you add a screenshot of your rules?

Thanks

After a lot of trying I'm at the point that I can login via SAML to global protect. I'm using three rules in ADFS configuration:

1. Rule:

2017-11-11 05_48_08-RDP-Manager.png

c1:[Type == "http://schemas.microsoft.com/ws/2008/06/identity/claims/windowsaccountname"]
 && c2:[Type == "http://schemas.microsoft.com/ws/2008/06/identity/claims/authenticationinstant"]
 => add(store = "_OpaqueIdStore", types = ("http://mycompany/internal/sessionid"), query = "{0};{1};{2};{3};{4}", param = "useEntropy", param = c1.Value, param = c1.OriginalIssuer, param = "", param = c2.Value);

2. Rule:

2017-11-11 05_48_32-RDP-Manager.png

3. Rule:

2017-11-11 05_48_55-RDP-Manager.png

I use sAMAccountName instead of username in my Authentication Profile.

2017-11-11 05_52_00-flg-pa-panorama.png

For just logon to global protect via SAML that seems ok. 

But I want to use Clientless VPN with apps that also do a SAML authentication. At the moment the situation is the following:

I open the global protect portal and get redirected to the ADFS logon site (external Form authentication). I logon and get redirected to the Clientless VPN portal.

Then I click on one app which also uses SAML authentication. I expect that the app will just open because I'm already authenticated via SAML BUT I get another ADFS authentication window (internal Windows Authentication) and have to logon again. 

When I then open another app from clientless vpn portal then this works via SSO.

I think that happens because ADFS cannot map my session after I'm authenticated to the global protect portal so I think there is still missing something in the configuration of the rules.

(Another information: I had to delete encryption and signature info in ADFS for the Clientless VPN party. I don't know why but I will check this later.

2017-11-11 06_01_53-RDP-Manager.png2017-11-11 06_02_08-RDP-Manager.png

)

Any ideas?

Thanks!

I'm sorry, but I don't have any ideas for use with clientless vpn.  I've only been focusing on GP.  Right now I'm working through issues with the signing certificate verification and the signing of SAML requests to the iDP.  Maybe my eventual findings here might help you with your last comment.

But can you add screenshots of your ADFS rules?

Thanks!

• 15 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!