Aggregate Ethernet Trunked Traffic in a VWire

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Aggregate Ethernet Trunked Traffic in a VWire

L1 Bithead

Hi Team, 

I was wondering if the below is acheivable. I plan to deploy vwires for this setup. Upstream switch's are Cisco switch's and same with downstream. (downstream switch's are stacked switch's - so logically one switch) The red is indicating one VLAN, like wise blue. We are planning to create an aggregate ethernet with sub-interfaces and have a vwire map from a physical interface to a sub interface. The downstream Cisco switch's will be trunking vlans to the Palo Alto. i.e. vlan red and vlan blue.

I want to know where to specify the VLAN tag and whether or not I have to put the parent ae interface in to a zone and vwire.

Thank you

Bilal

Screen Shot 2015-10-17 at 15.45.02.png

4 REPLIES 4

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

vwire is like a tube - it has 2 endpoints. If traffic goes in from one end it has to come out from other end.

So you can add only 2 interfaces to single vwire.

You should think about setting up those interfaces into Layer 2 mode.

There you can have more than 2 and can play around with vlan tags.

Enterprise Architect, Security @ Cloud Carib Ltd
Palo Alto Networks certified from 2011

Hi Raido, thank you for your reply. I will be adding two interfaces to a single vwire. Maybe i didnt explain properly.

vwire 1 - E1/1 mapped to ae1.999

vwire 2 - E1/3 mapped to ae1.998

My question is, since ae interface is trunk, where do I specify the tag (I assume sub interface and not the actual vwire), and do I have to put the parent interface (ae1) part of a zone and to a "parent vwire"

I've tried to get clues from this article below, but there is no actual comprehensive document from Palo Alto with this design.

https://live.paloaltonetworks.com/t5/Management-Articles/Error-When-Specifying-a-Tag-for-VWire-Subin...

Even though it's possible to create ae (aggregate links) in vwire links, the simplest straighforward way to configure what you need it's just negotiate tha aggregation links between you upstream and downstream switches, if they using LACP (layer 2) the vwire should just forward this packets and the AE will negotiate correctly between the switches.

Now in the PA configuration you only need to configure your links as single vwires and mirror the configuration between them.

The funny part is the asymetric traffic, you can mitigate some portion in the switches in the case they support symmetric LAG hashing (so that individual flows are "pinned" to a single virtual-wire) to avoid overload your HA3 link. Also be careful and use the same zones in the mirrored configuration: if you use "external-vlan2" for the vlan 2 in physical link eth1, use the same zone for the same vlan in the eth2.

Hope it helps,

Regards,

Gerardo. 

Hi Gerardo. The problem with this is we cannot do straightforward way, which I know for sure works i.e. dedicating two separate links for vwire. The upstream switch's are providing one link per Palo Alto FW, red and blue are different services. Downstream we have a switch stack. Rather than dedicating one link (down to one switch) we'd rather have this split physically to different switch, but logically the same switch. This is where we want to do LACP aggregation. (due to cabling restraints).

If we were to do it straight forward way, i would have to double up on links both upstream and downstream, and to me it just does not make any sense to do it like this.

I have no worries with asymetric traffic. I have tested this, and mac address between the switching infrastructure are only learnt via the active FW. The passive node does not pass traffic, but physical interface remains up.

• 4 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!