Blocking youtube

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Blocking youtube

L0 Member

How can I properly block youtube, because it's bypassing a PA-3050 on port 443 (https://)?

16 REPLIES 16

L4 Transporter

You can either implement SSL decryption, or use URL filtering. (If you use URL filtering, and don't implement SSL decryption, your user will be greeted with a blank page since the firewall can't inject the comfort page.)

L0 Member

I believe you could do in two different ways:

1. Build a security policy with app youtube-base and action block;

2. Use an URL filtering profile to block streaming-media category (would block more but you could use allow list to make exceptions... or add youtube with wildcards on the block list of a url filtering that allow streaming media categories;

Unfortunately neither of those solutions works (without SSL decryption). I have youtube application blocked, all streaming media blocked with URL filtering, youtube.com in URL block list and youtube still works. It is recognised as SSL application and goes to an URL which is categorised as 'search-engines'. I'll try to catch this URL and add it to block list. 

You can block youtube with or without SSL Decryption.

With SSL Decryption, and if you don't want to implement it for *everything* you can do a targeted decryption to *.google.com and then block youtube.com and *.youtube.com with a Custom URL Category, or simply add those lines to the URL Filtering Profile Block List. I explain how to do a targeted decryption on document: How to Block a Specific HTTPS Site with URL Filtering

Without SSL decryption we can't see the HTTP GET, so URL Filtering wouldn't ever trigger. However, without SSL decryption we can still see the SNI (sent from the Browser) and the CN (inside Subject Name field, in the certificate presented by the server). The CN for youtube is *.google.com, however blocking this will also block all HTTPS sites with certificates that present *.google.com

Note that in order to present a block page without SSL decryption, you may want to refer to How to Serve a URL Response Page Over an HTTPS Session Without SSL Decryption

The SNI is sent from the browser on the SSL 'Client Hello' message, and it is, in this example: www.youtube.com

Screen Shot 2015-01-06 at 9.41.22 AM.png

This means that adding an URL Filtering Block rule for *.youtube.com, will block access to YouTube by leveraging the SNI.

This (reading SNI) is a feature which was included on PAN-OS 6.0

Please note that not all browsers do support SNI (not all of them send the SNI value).

Note that the SNI is an extension of TLS (a.k.a SSLv3.1 and above), so SSLv3.0 won't send the SNI, even if you are using the correct browser. Please disable SSLv3.0 in your browser to make sure it's not contributing to the problem. Digicert has an excellent tutorial on how to achieve this. See: Disabling Browser Support - SSL v3 Protocol | DigiCert.com

To know when SNI was implemented into a Browser/Operative System combination, there's a good article on it on Wikipedia. See: Server Name Indication - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Implementation[edit]

In 2004, a patch for adding TLS/SNI into OpenSSL was created by the EdelKey project.[5] In 2006, this patch was then ported to the development branch of OpenSSL, and in 2007 it was back-ported to OpenSSL 0.9.8.

For an application program to implement SNI, the TLS library it uses must implement it and the application must pass the hostname to the TLS library. Further complicating matters, the TLS library may either be included in the application program or be a component of the underlying operating system. Because of this, some browsers implement SNI when running on any operating system, while others implement it only when running on certain operating systems.

Web browsers[6][edit]

just write a custom app-id and use client hello for ssl and pattern as youtube.com

write a deny rule for that application

youtube will not work with https

you don't need to use ssl decryption.

Youtube.png

Without SSL decryption, the firewall thinks that Youtube is also Google.

Browse to https://www.youtube.com and look at the certificate information. The CN is *.google.com.

by creating a custom app-id it takes precedence over builtin apps.

L4 Transporter

Hi Wilmar,

You can do this  inter SSL = 443 in service Tab and let me know ?

gaaf.PNG

Regards

Satish

L3 Networker

Perhaps just block Youtubes IP's?

Just a thought....

Unlikely to remain static, they have one of the largest CDN's in the world. Guaranteed those will not remain the same.

Also if you obtain the list of all Google IP's, you won't have a way to tell which are serving YouTube.

Please see:

Google IP address ranges - Google Apps Help

For a list of all google IP's, you could alternatively leverage information to create an EBL from radb.net and shadowserver.org. The idea is to create a cron script that hosts a clear text file from a web server like apache, (may need to tweak the output to adjust to EBL accepted format). Then will be periodically updated and fetched as follows:

mivaldi$ ping www.youtube.com

PING www.google.com (64.15.118.10😞 56 data bytes

64 bytes from 64.15.118.10: icmp_seq=0 ttl=54 time=2.506 ms

^C

--- www.youtube.com ping statistics ---

1 packets transmitted, 1 packets received, 0.0% packet loss

round-trip min/avg/max/stddev = 2.506/2.506/2.506/0.000 ms

mivaldi$ whois -h asn.shadowserver.org "origin 64.15.118.10"

43515 | 64.15.112.0/20 | YOUTUBE | IE | google.com | YouTube LLC

Or search AS by name here:

http://bgp.potaroo.net/as1221/asnames.txt

...or here:

https://www.ultratools.com/tools/asnInfoResult?domainName=youtube

mivaldi$ whois -h whois.radb.net -- '-i origin AS43515' | grep ^route

route:      208.65.154.0/24

route:      208.65.155.0/24

route:      208.117.226.0/24

route:      208.117.234.0/24

route:      208.117.235.0/24

All known YouTube AS43515 IP's

... Also note that some AS like Google's may contain very long lists...

mivaldi$ whois -h whois.radb.net -- '-i origin AS15169' | grep ^route | wc -l

If it's a long list and may exceed your EBL limits (dependent on platform).

Note: Commands were run from Mac terminal. Will also work on Linux, or cygwin terminal on Windows.

Well put! I just tried to see what it would look like so here is a snipped of what the PAN see's for that https traffic:

HTTPS

It is seeing at SSL but also the URL filter categorizes it properly so you maybe able to use the URL filter to block streaming-media.

This will not work with explorer 11

I still think that blocking that category will resolve this issue. I just tried it with IE11:

Or maybe we just need to wait for PAN to update their definitions for this?

• 16 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!