Changing the URL for whois lookups

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Changing the URL for whois lookups

L0 Member

Hallo!  I'm trying to figure out the format of ip-address-lookup-url which defaults to http://www.networksolutions.com/whois/results.jsp?ip=  The Network Solutions site is not that useful for addresses allocated to RIPE, APNIC etc so I tried to specify a custom URL using ip-address-lookup-url in the CLI.  If I specify "http://www.example.com/uri/" and try to lookup an IP address I get redirected to http://www.example.com/uri/ but the IP address is not added as a parameter. Does anybody know how the URL should be specified in order to have the IP address added ?  -Jørgen

1 accepted solution

Accepted Solutions

L3 Networker

The correct format used for the builtin lookup for Network Solutions is:

www.networksolutions.com/whois/results.jsp?ip={ip}

The PAN uses {ip} to submit the ipaddress from the ACC link into the URL.  You will need to find the URL format that is used for the site you would like to use.

If the format is similar to Network Solutions, you will need to make the change in a couple of steps.  This is because the question mark is a special character in the CLI and displays a menu of command choices, instead of allowing you to enter the question mark in the configuration.

Via CLI in configure mode, execute the following command:

# set deviceconfig system ip-address-lookup-url www.networksolutions.com/whois/results.jsp

Then export the candidate config, from the Device tab in the Web UI.

Edit this config file, I use Notepadd++.

Search for:

<ip-address-lookup-url>www.networksolutions.com/whois/results.jsp</ip-address-lookup-url>

and change it to:

<ip-address-lookup-url>www.networksolutions.com/whois/results.jsp?ip={ip}</ip-address-lookup-url>

You are adding ?ip={ip} to the URL.

Save the file.

Then import it back into the PAN device on the Device tab.

You will need to Load this configuration on the Device tab then perform a commit.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

L3 Networker

The correct format used for the builtin lookup for Network Solutions is:

www.networksolutions.com/whois/results.jsp?ip={ip}

The PAN uses {ip} to submit the ipaddress from the ACC link into the URL.  You will need to find the URL format that is used for the site you would like to use.

If the format is similar to Network Solutions, you will need to make the change in a couple of steps.  This is because the question mark is a special character in the CLI and displays a menu of command choices, instead of allowing you to enter the question mark in the configuration.

Via CLI in configure mode, execute the following command:

# set deviceconfig system ip-address-lookup-url www.networksolutions.com/whois/results.jsp

Then export the candidate config, from the Device tab in the Web UI.

Edit this config file, I use Notepadd++.

Search for:

<ip-address-lookup-url>www.networksolutions.com/whois/results.jsp</ip-address-lookup-url>

and change it to:

<ip-address-lookup-url>www.networksolutions.com/whois/results.jsp?ip={ip}</ip-address-lookup-url>

You are adding ?ip={ip} to the URL.

Save the file.

Then import it back into the PAN device on the Device tab.

You will need to Load this configuration on the Device tab then perform a commit.

• 1 accepted solution
  • 1 replies
  • 1 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!