CLI Rename Command Syntax - Rename GlobalProtect Gateway

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

CLI Rename Command Syntax - Rename GlobalProtect Gateway

L0 Member

Totally new to Palo Alto here. I'm looking to rename an existing GlobalProtect gateway on our PA-450.

I have found some posts indicating that this can be done from the CLI of the firewall by using the "rename" command from CLI to update the "GATEWAY" name and the "GATEWAY-N" name on the firewall.

I can see these entries in the config after exporting it to XML.

<tunnel>
<global-protect-gateway>
<entry name="GP-GATEWAY-N">

<global-protect-gateway>
<entry name="GP-GATEWAY">
<roles>

What I can't really find is any concrete documentation on what the proper syntax is to update these.

If I'm parsing the CLI correctly by stepping through commands with "?" it looks like I should at least for one of the entries, use this:

rename global-protect global-protect-gateway GP-GATEWAY to NEWNAME

Is this correct? If so, which of the entries does this change, and how do I change the other?

Thanks!

2 REPLIES 2

Community Team Member

Hi @mbrown-revitycu ,

You can rename your gateway by the following command:

rename global-protect global-protect-gateway nameofyourgateway to newgatewayname

The syntax allows you to specify which gateway you would like to replace by entering the name of that gateway. Also, once you've entered your new gateway name you can hit enter. 

Hope this helps!

LIVEcommunity team member
Stay Secure,
Jay
Don't forget to Like items if a post is helpful to you!

Please help out other users and “Accept as Solution” if a post helps solve your problem !

Read more about how and why to accept solutions.

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

@mbrown-revitycu,

The rename command will simply rename the existing entry to whatever you have specified, so say for example that I created a "Test" GlobalProtect-Gateway alongside a "Test" GlobalProtect-Portal entry I could rename them to Test-Gateway and Test-Portal by issuing the following:

rename global-protect global-protect-portal Test to Test-Portal
rename global-protect global-protect-gateway Test to Test-Gateway

You can verify that everything is okay from a configuration aspect by running a validation once you've done the rename, but simply renaming those entries won't cause any configuration issues. 

• 2 replies
  • 1 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!