Commit Error After Upgrading to 10.0.9

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Commit Error After Upgrading to 10.0.9

L4 Transporter

Hi Team,

Getting below commit validation error after upgrading to PAN-OS 10.0.9. 

• Validation Error:
  • rulebase -> security -> rules -> QUIC_Deny -> hip-profiles unexpected here.

SubaMuthuram_0-1646666519113.png

Snow
44 REPLIES 44

L0 Member

I too had the error 'hip-profiles unexpected here' when going from 10.0.8-h8 to 10.0.9 on Panorama. Attempting to run the command 'delete device-group DG_AllFirewalls pre-rulebase security rules "TEST App" hip-profiles', I received 'Invalid syntax.' Even though the steps I list below are for Panorama, you should be able to change them to match your firewall.

Steps I did:
1) Downgrade Panorama from 10.0.9 to 10.0.8-h8
2) Backup your config in case you mess anything up.
3) find all rules that contain hip-profiles with the following commands:

set cli config-output-format set
configure
show device-group DG_AllFirewalls pre-rulebase security | match hip-profiles

4) copy and paste all results in notepad++. then change these commands to be delete commands
5) find and replace "set " with "delete "
6) find and replace "hip-profiles any" with "hip-profiles"
7) copy and paste the updated commands back into putty in sets of 30 (originally I tried sets of 40 but it exceeded the buffer size)
8 ) look for any rules that might have failed or had been missed:

show device-group DG_AllFirewalls pre-rulebase security | match hip-profiles

9) I had one hip-profiles rule that did not delete. The reason neither the delete command, nor the show command matched a rule was because it had 2 consecutive spaces in the name. I'm not sure if it is a bug or a subtle hint to clean up the rule name. I took the hint, cleaned up the rule name from the GUI, and then was able to come back to CLI to delete the hip-profiles entry.
10) commit the changes

commit

11) Optional, exit and set the cli display back to default

exit
set cli config-output-format default

12) take another backup
13) upgrade Panorama from 10.0.8-h8 to 10.0.9
14) test modifying the security rules you were not able to before.

For me, I did the above because I didn't need to plan for any user downtime since the downgrade/upgrade were on Panorama rather than the actual firewalls, and it was only one command to run to remove it. I'm assuming your firewall is in production and it might be annoying to schedule two reboots so I had another idea that I didn't test/use. You should be able to backup/export your config on 10.0.9, remove the hip-profiles lines in the xml file, and then import/load the modified xml file.

I hope that helps.

-Bill

I am facing a similar issue, however for the Authentication rule. I tried it via CLI. I do see a hip-profile match, however, there is no matching option for the delete command.

delete rules <rule-name>
  authentication-enforcement   Authentication enforcement object to use for authentication.
  category                     category
  description                  description
  destination                  destination
  destination-hip              destination-hip
  disabled                     Disable the rule
  from                         from
  group-tag                    group-tag
  log-authentication-timeout   log-authentication-timeout
  log-setting                  Log setting for forwarding authentication logs
  negate-destination           negate-destination
  negate-source                negate-source
  service                      service
  source                       source
  source-hip                   source-hip
  source-user                  source-user
  tag                          tag
  target                       Target devices
  timeout                      expiration timer (minutes)
  to                           to
  <Enter>                      Finish input

Here is config for the policy.

set device-group <GROUP-NAME> post-rulebase authentication rules <RULE NAME> hip-profiles any

L4 Transporter

I tried the CLI option. I could see the hip-profile config for the rule, however, delete command does not have hip-profile option for removal. I replace set with delete and use the same config, then it complains about invalid syntax. Looks like a bug.

L6 Presenter

I had this issue in authentication policy where there are luckily not many rules.

List the problematic authentication rule in CLI in set format and you will see a line which sets hip-profile to any.

Unfortunately you can't just use delete command for hip setting as Pan-OS doesn't expect hip-profile here.

So copy the whole existing rule to your favorite text editor, change the rule name to something else, and paste it back without the hip profile line.

After checking the new identical rule is in place, delete the original rule and commit

L4 Transporter

One of my colleagues worked on editing the xml config and re-importing the config in Panorama. It resolved the issue. It was a hassle. Palo Alto needs to resolve this issue in the PAN-OS.

L3 Networker

We are facing the issue now to, after upgrading from 10.1.3 to 10.1.5h1.

Downgrade to 10.1.4h4 as suggested would not fix the OpenSSL vulnerability: 
https://security.paloaltonetworks.com/CVE-2022-0778

From the looks of it, this bug was fixed in 10.5.0:
https://docs.paloaltonetworks.com/pan-os/10-1/pan-os-release-notes/pan-os-10-1-5-known-and-addressed...

PAN-171869
Fixed an issue where HIP profile objects in Security policies and authentication policies were replaced with source HIP and destination HIP objects.

After hitting already lovely bugs with 10.1.3 and 10.1.4 with device tag assigned security rules and dynamic object groups. 10.1.x looks like a bullet proof release of PAN-OS.

Regards

There's no home like 127.0.0.1

L6 Presenter

And they are announcing EOL for 10.0 and forcing everyone to 10.1.... 

L0 Member

We also experienced the same issue on 10.1.5-h1, so have reverted to 10.1.4-h4... but as mentioned that leaves us with the OpenSSL vulnerability. Any news on a fix?

L1 Bithead

Guys, I encountered another problem during committing from Panorama. When I try to push configuration to devices validation fails and all what I can see about is like below. After click on the status a window without content is displayed. None, indeed 😉

Screenshot 2022-04-13 at 11.25.08.png

So, because both Panorama and my device have exactly same version (10.0.9) I pushed configuration locally (on the device) and it finished successfully. Most likely it is another Panorama bug 😞

I will create support ticket today and provide feedback here if a solution will be found.

All the best 🙂 

M

I had the same issue. The policy wrong was under Policy - Authentication. I've deleted and recreated my policy and then the commit was fine. Hope it helps

L1 Bithead

@rpanini I had exactly same issue with authentication policies 😉

Ok, so I will try to do the trick again however it will be a bit harder - I have a lot of configuration in these configs.....

Anyway i created a support ticket an I hope somebody picks it up.

M

L0 Member

Hi guys,

The solution that worked for me was:

1)in CLI identify the affected rules with the command: show rulebase security | match hip-profile

2)for each affected rule: show rulebase security rules "Rule affected by problem"

copy rule commands  to text editor

remove line ---set rulebase security rules "Rule affected by problem" hip-profiles any

delete the rule in GUI (first note it's rule number, because when you create a new one it is going to be at the end all policies)

paste commands to create the new rule without the problematic line

repeat this with all the rules wih the problem

I hope it helps.

Thanks!  This fixed it for me.

@ajezierski unfortunately there are other glitches in this and next
release. I have problem with validation template stack during push to
devices. (error message: none).
M

L0 Member

FWIW, the rules causing the issue for me were generated using the BPA+ tool.

• 44 replies
  • 2 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!