How can i block application which is not present in the app database?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

How can i block application which is not present in the app database?

L2 Linker

Hi,

I wan t block an VOIP application NYMGO. This Application is currenty not available in the database.

How can i block this application. Is there a way i can custome application ??

Regards,

Wasim Parkar

1 REPLY 1

L4 Transporter

Hi Wasim,

When looking at the Nymgo application and the configuration they use two domains to connect to. For the proxy they use stun.nymgo.com on port 80 and for SIP they use ata.nymgo.com on UDP/5060.

When you are using the Palo Alto Networks firewall you will see the SIP traffic from nymgo being reported as SIP in the logging.

There are a couple of ways to block this traffic:

- Block outgoing traffic on the ip-addresses for stun.nymgo.com and ata.nymgo.com on TCP/80 and UDP/5060 (old fashion way, we still support that Smiley Happy). This requires to check the ip-addresses behind the two domain. This will be solved in the version 4.0 when we will support FQDN-objects.

- Block SIP traffic to the ata.nymgo.com objects and see the logging for the type of traffic going to port 80 on stun.nymgo.com and block that as well

- Define an application override for UDP/5060 and TCP/80 traffic going to the two domains and classify that as a new application nymgo. Then block this application in the security policy.

Hope this helps to move forward.

Marcel

• 1 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!