Negating an Argument for XML API Query

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Negating an Argument for XML API Query

L0 Member

I am essentially trying to query the XML API for the active firewall to grab out operational logs using the below query except I would like to NEGATE the application so that I am grabbing out the logs that do not include that application type. Right now as it is written below, I am grabbing out ONLY the logs with application type "example-application-type-here" and I would like the opposite. Has anyone resolved this?

<show><session><all><filter><application>example-application-type-here</application></filter></all></session></show>

Thanks!

2 REPLIES 2

L6 Presenter

@Molly_Rice wrote:

I am essentially trying to query the XML API for the active firewall to grab out operational logs using the below query except I would like to NEGATE the application so that I am grabbing out the logs that do not include that application type. Right now as it is written below, I am grabbing out ONLY the logs with application type "example-application-type-here" and I would like the opposite. Has anyone resolved this?

<show><session><all><filter><application>example-application-type-here</application></filter></all></session></show>

Thanks!

Can you use a 'not' operator somewhere in-front of the application field or maybe the 'bang' !  ?

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

@Molly_Rice,

The way that you would do this through the API (and the way that the GUI actually performs this) is simply not outputting the full return. Something a bit like this:

session_table = requests.get('https://<firewall>/api/?type=op&cmd=<validate><full></full></validate>',headers=headers, verify=False)
session_dict = xmltodict.parse(session_table.content)
returned_session_list = []
session_list = session_dict['response']['result']['entry']
for session in session_list:
    if session['application'] == 'ssl':
        logging.debug("Drop Session")
    else:
        returned_session_list.append(session)
## Do something with returned_session_list ##
  • 2 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!