Tunnel

Highlighted
L4 Transporter

Re: Tunnel

Exactly Mario

On the other side is a cisco firewall and when it is not working it give me the an SA error and I have no idea why because I didn't change anything.

Highlighted
L6 Presenter

If the initiator is the Palo Alto Networks firewall, you can bring the tunnel up with a test from the CLI like:

> test vpn ike-sa gateway <gateway_name>  (will bring Phase 1 up)

> test vpn ipsec-sa tunnel <tunnel_name> (will bring Phase 2 up)

Highlighted
L4 Transporter

Yes that what I was trying to do and it did not come up, I think mario hit it on the nail with the SA's

L4 Transporter

Here is what I am seeing when the tunnel is up

Parkway_IPSec_Tunnel5:DR_Networkactive

id 139
tunnel  Parkway_IPSec_Tunnel5:DR_Network
        id:                     139
        type:                   IPSec
        gateway id:             5
        local ip:               66.94.196.107
        peer ip:                66.94.196.108
        inner interface:        tunnel.5
        outer interface:        ethernet1/3
        state:                  active
        session:                184664
        tunnel mtu:             1428
        lifetime remain:        20799 sec
        latest rekey:           8001 seconds ago
        monitor:                off
        monitor packets seen:   0
        monitor packets reply:  0
        en/decap context:       100
        local spi:              B1874737
        remote spi:             CB7EC37F
        key type:               auto key
        protocol:               ESP
        auth algorithm:         SHA1
        enc  algorithm:         AES256
        proxy-id local ip:      10.135.100.0/24
        proxy-id remote ip:     10.135.11.0/25
        proxy-id protocol:      0
        proxy-id local port:    0
        proxy-id remote port:   0
        anti replay check:      yes
        copy tos:               no
        authentication errors:  0
        decryption errors:      0
        inner packet warnings:  0
        replay packets:         0
        packets received
          when lifetime expired:0
          when lifesize expired:0
        sending sequence:       212815
        receive sequence:       200841

Highlighted
L4 Transporter

You said you're connecting the PA to an ASA? I would only recommend this for troubleshooting, but have you tried aggressive mode? When I used to work with ASAs, once upon a time, I found that different vendors didn't play well with ASAs (or vice versa, however you choose to look at it). I had to use aggressive mode. Which I don't recommend btw because they are less secure because plain text is used and reveals data about the endpoints. I'd say it's worth a shot though to see if that stabilizes the tunnel. Just a thought. Do you have other tunnels connecting to ASAs or just this one?

Highlighted
L4 Transporter

Correct the other tunnels I have are also connectingfrom PA to ASA 5505 and using main mode. I have not used aggressive mode for the reason you just stated. It appears to be a very regular pattern of going off in the afternoon and back on the next day.

Highlighted
L4 Transporter

What do the PA logs show during this time. Can you tell from the logs who is disconnecting or dropping the tunnel?

Highlighted
L4 Transporter

I have been trying to search for the time when it actually dropped but I havent; found it yet. Is there a way on the PA to determine who dropped the traffic?

Highlighted
L4 Transporter

Under system logs, search using the filter "( subtype eq vpn )". I'm not sure what event you would be searching for but this should be a good start. Using this filter and searching during the time it goes down should help you find what you are looking for. Good luck!

Highlighted
L4 Transporter

I think this is when it is succeeding

and ( description contains 'IKE phase-2 negotiation is succeeded as responder, quick mode. Established SA: 66.94.196.107[500]-66.94.196.108[500] message id:0x1D8ADE40, SPI:0xB1874737/0xCB7EC37F.' )

Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the Live Community as a whole!

The Live Community thanks you for your participation!