Allowing child process from parent process in Cortex XDR

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Allowing child process from parent process in Cortex XDR

L0 Member

Hello,

Is there a way to allow a legitimate parent process to create a legitimate child process on Cortex XDR that is being blocked due to "Suspicious Process Creation"? In my case, I whitelisted the child process but the block continues. I do not want to whitelist the parent process as this may allow malware into our environment someday.

I remember version 4.1 of Traps allowing this under Child Process Protection (I think was the name). For example "ParentProcess.exe ->spawns-> ChildProcess.exe : Allow". I looked into the exception profile, but it only allows me to create an exception for just one specific process.

If anyone has an idea of if/how to accomplish this with Cortex XDR, please let me know! Thank you, stay safe.

2 REPLIES 2

L0 Member

Hi, I believe this may be what you are looking for:

• Under Endpoints go to Policy Management
  • Then select Profiles on the left under the Prevention heading
  • Find your active Malware profile and right-click and Edit
  • Scroll down to Malicious Child Process Protection

You will then find a whitelist option to do a combo of the parent and child process along with any specific parameters

Heloo @ajrechk 
According to:

Application information:
Application name:  Windows Explorer
Application version:  10.0.22621.3007
Application publisher:  Microsoft Corporation
Process ID:  20676
Application location:  C:\Windows\explorer.exe
Command line:  C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
File origin:  Hard drive on this computer

Target application information:
Application name:  Java(TM) Platform SE binary
Application version:  21.0.2.0
Application publisher:  Oracle Corporation
Process ID:  2432
Application location:  C:\Program Files\Java\jdk-21\bin\javaw.exe
Command line:  "C:\Program Files\Java\jdk-21\bin\javaw.exe" -jar "C:\Users\ayxanp\AppData\Local\Temp\961644af-8259-4735-a751-8b545a44ed02_apache-jmeter-5.6.3.tgz.d02\apache-jmeter-5.6.3\bin\ApacheJMeter.jar" 
File origin:  Hard drive on this computer

Prevention information:
Prevention date:  Thursday, February 22, 2024
Prevention time:  11:30:43
OS version:  10.0.22631.2.0.0.256.1
Component:  Child Process Protection
Status code:  80400057
Prevention description:  Suspicious process creation detected
Additional information 1:  explorer.exe
Additional information 2:  C:\Program Files\Java\jdk-21\bin\javaw.exe
Additional information 3:  -jar "C:\Users\ayxanp\AppData\Local\Temp\961644af-8259-4735-a751-8b545a44ed02_apache-jmeter-5.6.3.tgz.d02\apache-jmeter-5.6.3\bin\ApacheJMeter.jar" 
Additional information 4:  ChildProcessPattern: *\javaw.exe, Flag: D, CommandLineRegex: ((?i)([-/]jar\s+\"?((\Q%temp%\E)|(\Q%templong%\E)|(\Q%SystemDrive%\E\\Users\\.*\\temp)|(\Q%SystemDrive%\E\\docume.*\\temp))\\.*))

What should I write to these fields:
I need to create legacy agent exception for that. When I go to this page, I choose "Malware > Malicious Child Process Protection" as module and it requires me to fill three things which are:
1. Parent Process Name
2. Child Process Name
3. Child Process Command Line Params

• 2 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!