Exclusion criteria import

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Please sign in to see details of an important advisory in our Customer Advisories area.

Exclusion criteria import

L1 Bithead

Hi all.

Does anyone know of a way - or a work around for the following situation.

I have a long list (about 700) IPs that I want to create an alert exclusion from. These are external scanners that our firewall blocks and we get a large amount of alerts because of this. I would like to create an alert exclusion so we no longer have to deal with these cluttering up our console. Manually entering 700 IPs into the Remote IP criteria field is not an option. Is there a way to get all the IPs into that criteria, or a way to silence these alerts in another way? I would prefer not to use CIDR ranges as I need a little more granularity than that.

Thanks!

2 accepted solutions

Accepted Solutions

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

Hi @RicardoWaffle ,

You could use an EDL -> https://docs.paloaltonetworks.com/pan-os/10-1/pan-os-admin/policy/use-an-external-dynamic-list-in-po... with the 700 IP addresses and add them to a block security rule (source address) with logging disabled.  The cool thing about an EDL is that updates are pushed to the security policy without the need for a commit.

Thanks,

Tom

Help the community: Like helpful comments and mark solutions.

View solution in original post

L5 Sessionator

Hi @RicardoWaffle there are a few workarounds to the ask

1. import all IP addresses to IOC list, and create an exclusion policy for all alert sources as IOC, description containing IP addresses and action as Prevented (or variations of it, depending on how the firewall events are enumerated in XDR). This will exclude all alerts having the term IP in the description (including the ones that are not in the list of 700 IP's).

bbarmanroy_0-1666947740797.png

2. a wider action would be exclude all blocked events from the firewall 

bbarmanroy_1-1666947849777.png

Give either action a shot depending on your preference, and see what works best for your environment.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Cyber Elite
Cyber Elite

Hi @RicardoWaffle ,

You could use an EDL -> https://docs.paloaltonetworks.com/pan-os/10-1/pan-os-admin/policy/use-an-external-dynamic-list-in-po... with the 700 IP addresses and add them to a block security rule (source address) with logging disabled.  The cool thing about an EDL is that updates are pushed to the security policy without the need for a commit.

Thanks,

Tom

Help the community: Like helpful comments and mark solutions.

L5 Sessionator

Hi @RicardoWaffle there are a few workarounds to the ask

1. import all IP addresses to IOC list, and create an exclusion policy for all alert sources as IOC, description containing IP addresses and action as Prevented (or variations of it, depending on how the firewall events are enumerated in XDR). This will exclude all alerts having the term IP in the description (including the ones that are not in the list of 700 IP's).

bbarmanroy_0-1666947740797.png

2. a wider action would be exclude all blocked events from the firewall 

bbarmanroy_1-1666947849777.png

Give either action a shot depending on your preference, and see what works best for your environment.

L1 Bithead

Thank you both for your replies. Very helpful!

I'll look into each solution for our environment.

Cheers!

• 2 accepted solutions
  • 3 replies
  • 0 Likes
Like what you see?

Show your appreciation!

Click Like if a post is helpful to you or if you just want to show your support.

Click Accept as Solution to acknowledge that the answer to your question has been provided.

The button appears next to the replies on topics you’ve started. The member who gave the solution and all future visitors to this topic will appreciate it!

These simple actions take just seconds of your time, but go a long way in showing appreciation for community members and the LIVEcommunity as a whole!

The LIVEcommunity thanks you for your participation!